Izaskun Elorza Álvarez
I am a Paediatrician specialising in Haematology and Oncology. I have devoted the last 10 years of my career mainly to Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. I have extensive clinical experience in pediatric indications, as well as with the different transplant schemes (more than 500 transplants performed). I combine my healthcare activity with teaching and research, principally in the area of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and bone marrow failure/aplastic anemia. I believe that excellence in the physical and mental care of a child in a serious situation is a way, actually being there on a day-to-day basis, and not an end in itself.
- Master in Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Universitat de València, 2016 - 2017.
- PhD in Paediatrics from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2003 - 2015. Doctoral Thesis: “Study of minimal residual disease by flow cytometry in children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia undergoing allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation”. Excellent, cum laude.
- Physician specialising in Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Hospital Universitari Vall d’Hebron Barcelona, 2008 - 2017.
- Specialist in Paediatric Haematology/Oncology and Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Hospital Universitari Vall d’Hebron Barcelona, 2006 - 2008.
- Specialist in Paediatrics and Specific Areas. Hospital Universitari Vall d’Hebron Barcelona, 2002 - 2006.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery. Universidad de Navarra, 1995 - 2001.
- Inspector of the Joint Accreditation Committee, European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. From 2017 to present.
- Training placement in the Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Unit, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, 2010.
- Training placement. Royal London Hospital, 2000.
- Volunteering in primary care with children in rural areas and Centro Médico Santa Teresa de Abancay [Santa Teresa de Abancay Medical Centre], Peru, 1999.
- “A multicenter, randomized, phase III registration trial of transplantation of NiCord, ex vivo expanded, umbilical cord blood-derived, stem and progenitor cells versus unmanipulated umbilical cord blood for patients with hematological malignancies”. Gamida, 2018.
- “A phase 3, randomized, adaptive study comparing the efficacy and safety of Defibrotide versus best supportive care in the prevention of hepatic veno-occlusive disease in adult and pediatric patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplant”. 2017.
- “Single-arm study to assess the efficacy of methoxsalen sterile solution in conjunction with the Therakos Cellex photopheresis system in pediatric patients with steroid-refractory acute graft versus host disease”. 2017.
- At-risk brain tissue identified with arterial spin labeling in neurotuberculosis. 2013.
- “Phase I/II Gene Therapy Trial of Fanconi anemia patients with a new orphan drug consisting of a lentiviral vector carrying the FANCA gene: A coordinated international action". Grant from the European Commission co-funded by EC. Seventh Framework Programme. 2012.
- Haemophagocytic syndrome: A common pathogenic mechanism of various aetiologies. 2019.
- Generation and differentiation of induced pluripotent stem cells (IPS) of patients with genetic diseases of the immune-hematopoietic system. Institut Recerca Vall d’Hebron [Vall d’Hebron Research Institute]. 2009.
- Basic research. Molecular characterisation in pediatric solid tumors. Study of gene profile and intracellular signalling pathways involved in the development and proliferation of sarcomas in the pediatric patient. Institut Recerca Vall d’Hebron [Vall d’Hebron Research Institute]. 2007.