The study group of diseases caused by Immune Dysregulation in Children (GRE 2014/SGR1531) of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital has received recognition from the catalan agency Agència de Gestió d'Ajuts Universitaris i de Recerca (University and Research Grants Management Agency, AGAUR) as an emerging group.
In the last 5 years we have published 48 articles in scientific journals. In addition, all members of the team actively participate in different scientific societies, such as the Sociedad Española de Reumatología Pediátrica (Spanish Society of Paediatric Rheumatology SERPE), of which Dr. Jordi Antón has been president from 2012 to 2019. We are also part of the Paediatric Rheumatology European Society (PRES), the Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation (PRINTO) and the International Society of Systemic Auto-Inflammatory Diseases (ISSAID).
Main lines of research and collaborative projects
Our Paediatric Rheumatology Unit participates in the development and approval of new treatments (more than 20 active clinical trials) and collaborates in international research networks. At the same time, the clinical Unit participates in an extensive list of clinical trials and observational studies. It also develops its own research lines at the Sant Joan de Déu Research Institute (IRSJD), which include the following:
- Autoinflammatory diseases: study of new genes and mechanisms causing the disease, among others.
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: new treatments, drug safety, infection prevention, biomarker study of response to treatment, etc.
- Temporomandibular joint in juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA): optimisation of imaging and therapeutic techniques.
- Uveitis associated with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA): research of new drugs, development of treatment algorithms and epidemiological studies.
- Vasculitis: epidemiology and clinical characterisation of Kawasaki disease, cerebral vasculitis and other systemic vasculitis.
- Bone metabolism (osteogenesis imperfecta, hypophosphatasia, osteoporosis): epidemiological studies and detection of new genes in osteogenesis imperfecta. Screening programme for hypophosphatasia and genetic study of patients. Study of assessment methods of bone quality in children.
- Juvenile dermatomyositis: epidemiology and clinical characterisation, validation of assessment scores and study of prognostic factors at diagnosis.
- Scleroderma: epidemiology and clinical characterisation; applicability of new treatments.
ImmunAID: a research project to improve the management of autoinflammatory diseases
The Paediatric Rheumatology Clinical Unit of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Offering the best treatments allows us to improve the quality of life of the children and adolescents who visit our hospital.