Asteria Albert Cazalla
Cleft lip and cleft palate vascular anomalies. Paediatric Plastic Surgery
You will find me at
Spanish, Catalan and English.
I earned a Medicine's degree at the Autonomous University of Barcelona in 1978. Resident intern training in Paediatric Surgery in San Sebastián-Donostia. I did training during a research fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). I have worked as a paediatric surgeon in Hospital Clínic and SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital, where I have worked in the Surgical Oncology Department and, since 2007, in the field of Plastic Surgery and facial malformations. In 2008 I also started coordinating the Hospital’s multidisciplinary vascular anomaly group. Researcher, reviewer of publications on the speciality and international examiner of the European Board of Paediatric Surgery since 2005. I have worked as an associate professor in Paediatrics at the University of Barcelona since September 2013. One of my key ideas is that the simplest solution is often the best one.
- PhD in Medicine, Faculty of Medicine. University of Barcelona (1994). Outstanding Doctorate Award.
- Resident intern in Paediatric Surgery in San Sebastián-Donostia (1979–1982).
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona (1972–1978).
- Visiting Faculty in the Boston Children’s Hospital’s Plastic Surgery Department (Prof. J. Mulliken, Dr. J. Meara), United States (2014).
- Voluntary surgery for children with cleft lip and cleft palate, a project lasting two weeks a year in Peru. From 2011 to 2015 with the FES Fundació.
- Research fellowship in the Sophia Kinderziekenhuis Children’s Hospital, Erasmus Universiteit (Prof. Dick Tibboel). Experimental projects in diaphragmatic hernia. Rotterdam, Holland (1994–1995).
- Research fellowship in the fetal treatment program at the University of California (Prof. Michael Harrison). Gastroschisis and diaphragmatic hernia projects. San Francisco, United States (1987).
- Research fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), (Prof. E. Fonkalsrud). United States, 18 months.
- Lecturer in Paediatrics at the University of Barcelona, since 2013.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.