César Galo García Fontecha
Bone enlargement, correction of deformities, bone and joint infection, hip dysplasia, scoliosis, clubfoot
You will find me at
English, Spanish and Catalan
I am the Head of the Orthopaedics and Traumatology Service at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital, having worked for 18 years exclusively in the field of child orthopaedic diseases, having trained in the Hospital Universitario Vall d’Hebron with several stays in foreign centres. I have a PhD in surgery for spinal column diseases and a Master’s degree in Scientific Method in Health Sciences. I have implemented 12 competitively-funded research projects and have been a tutor on 4 doctoral theses.
I am a member of the Spanish Pediatric Orthopaedic Society and coordinator of its scientific committee. I am also a member of the European Pediatric Orthopaedic Society and vice-president of the Ponseti Association (Spain) for clubfoot.
I am passionate about my work and enthusiastic committed to my patients.
- Master's degree in Health Service Administration, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2019.
- Master’s degree in Scientific Method in Health Sciences from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2009.
- PhD in Statistics in Health Sciences from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2008.
- PhD in Surgery, summa cum laude, from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1998.
- Specialist in Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1995.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the Universitat de Barcelona, 1989.
- Training in circular fixation at the Scottish Rite Hospital (Dallas, USA), 2014.
- Training in percutaneous surgery at the Hôpital des Enfants (Toulouse, France), 2013.
- Training in circular fixation at the Children's Hospital of Bristol (Great Britain), 2007.
- Training in spinal column disease and clubfoot at the Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (Iowa, USA), 2003.
- Training in advanced spinal column surgery at the AAOS Learning Centre (Chicago, USA), 2003.
- Training in spinal column surgery at the Institut Calot (Berck-sur-Mer Cedex, France), 1993.
- Principal Investigator of the Bioengineering, Orthopaedics and Pediatric Surgery research group, a group that has been consolidated by the AGAUR Agency since 2009.
- Research coordinator of the Musculoskeletal Reconstructive Surgery research group at the Vall d'Hebron Hospital from 2014 to 2018.
- Twelve research projects funded by competitive grants.
- Thirteen research awards.
- Director of 4 doctoral theses.
- Lecturer in the Master’s degree on Translational Biomedical Research, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona since 2013.
- Lecturer in the Master’s degree on Animal Science and Animal Welfare, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona since 2014.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.