Guillermo Luis Chantada Font
I specialized in Hematology and Oncology in 2001 at Garrahan Hospital (Argentina). I have made stays in various reference centers at the United States. In 2013 I joined the medical team associated with the Oncology and Hematology Service of the SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital, where I coordinate the group for research and treatment of retinoblastoma. My main research areas are retinoblastoma, neuroblastoma, lymphomas and histocytosis.
I have been a member of the International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) since 1997 and its president since May 2021. I have also been part of the nternational Society for Genetic Eye Diseases and Retinoblastoma (ISGEDR) since 1998; of the International Children's Oncology Group, since 2009; and of the International Society of Ocular Oncology (ISOO). In 2006 I joined the International Outreach Program at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis (USA), where I serve as Editor in Chief of the Oncopedia educational website.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires (UBA), 1988.
- Doctor of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires (UBA), 2013.
- Specialist at the Haemato-Oncology Service, JP Garrahan Paediatric Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Paediatric Haemato-Oncology Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA, 1995.
- Haematology Service, Hannover Medical School (Medizinische Hochschule Hannover – MHH), Germany, 1999.
- Grant, Fund for Ophthalmic Knowledge (New York, USA) for a two-month research rotation at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and the New York Presbyterian Hospital, november 2002.
- President of the International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) since May 2021.
- He has participated in many national and international conferences and congresses and been awarded numerous prizes.
- Reviewer of scientific articles for internationally acknowledged medical publications.
- Author of numerous publications, including book chapters and over 60 papers in international journals with references available at PubMed.
- He has taken part in a number of research studies as lead researcher: clinical research protocols and translational research protocols.
- Pérez V, Sampor C, Rey G, Parareda-Salles A, Kopp K, Dabezies AP, Dufort G, Zelter M, López JP, Urbieta M, Alcalde-Ruiz E, Catala-Mora J, Suñol M, Ossandon D, Fandiño AC, Croxatto JO, de Dávila MTG, Reaman G, Ravindranath Y, Chantada GL. Treatment of Nonmetastatic Unilateral Retinoblastoma in Children. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018 Jul 1;136(7):747-752. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2018.1501. PubMed PMID: 29799944.
- Pascual-Pasto G, Olaciregui NG, Opezzo JAW, Castillo-Ecija H, Cuadrado-Vilanova M, Paco S, Rivero EM, Vila-Ubach M, Restrepo-Perdomo CA, Torrebadell M, Suñol M, Schaiquevich P, Mora J, Bramuglia GF, Chantada GL, Carcaboso AM. Increased delivery of chemotherapy to the vitreous by inhibition of the blood-retinal barrier. J Control Release. 2017 Oct 28;264:34-44. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2017.08.018. Epub 2017 Aug 19. PubMed PMID: 28830790.
- Laurent VE, Torbidoni AV, Sampor C, Ottaviani D, Vazquez V, Gabri MR, Garcia de Davila MT, Ramirez-Ortiz MA, Alonso CN, Rossi J, Alonso DF, Chantada GL. Minimal Disseminated Disease in Nonmetastatic Retinoblastoma With High-Risk Pathologic Features and Association With Disease-Free Survival. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 Dec 1. PubMed PMID: 27787537.
- Pascual-Pasto G, Olaciregui NG, Vila-Ubach M, Paco S, Monterrubio C, Rodriguez E, Winter U, Batalla-Vilacis M, Catala J, Salvador H, Parareda A, Schaiquevich P, Suñol M, Mora J, Lavarino C, de Torres C, Chantada GL, Carcaboso AM. Preclinical platform of retinoblastoma xenografts recapitulating human disease and molecular markers of dissemination. Cancer Lett. 2016 Sep 28;380(1):10-9. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2016.06.012. Epub 2016 Jun 16. PubMed PMID: 27319373.
- Parareda A, Català J, Carcaboso AM, Sola T, Cruz O, Díaz J, Salvador H, de Torres C, Álvarez-Sampons A, Suñol M, Vinent J, Guimaraens L, Prat J, Mora J. Intra-arterial chemotherapy for retinoblastoma. Challenges of a prospective study. Acta Ophthalmol. 2014 May;92(3):209-15. PubMed PMID: 24868582.
- Abramson DH, Shields CL, Munier FL, Chantada GL. Treatment of Retinoblastoma in 2015: Agreement and Disagreement. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 Nov;133(11):1341-7. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2015.3108. Review. PubMed PMID: 26378747.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.