I am currently consultant and Coordinator of the Epilepsy Program of the Epilepsy Unit at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital and Director of the Epilepsy, Sleep and Pediatric Neurophysiology Department at the University Hospitals of Lyon, France. I am also member of the DYCOG research team at the Centre de Recherche en Neurosciences de Lyon (France). I am member and coordinator of the European Reference Network (ERN) for complex epilepsies EpiCare. My clinical and research activities are focused on: the pharmacological and surgical management of childhood epilepsies, the cognitive development and emotional regulation disorders in children with focal epilepsies.
- Board Certified in Neurology, 1989.
- Residency at the Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière and training in Child Neurology, as a pupil of Jean Aicardi, at the Hôpital Necker des Enfants Malades, 1984 - 1991.
- Training in Neurology at the Northwick Park Hospital and at Queen Square, University College London (UK), 1982 - 1983.
- Degree in Medicine. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1981.
- Appointed Director of the Epilepsy, Sleep and Paediatric Neurophysiology Department, University Hospitals of Lyon, Hôpital Femme-Mère-Enfant (HFME), Lyon, France, from 2008 onwards.
- Appointed University Hospital Practitioner in Child Neurology & Head of the Epilepsy Program at University Hospital Robert Debré, Paris, France, 1998 - 2008.
- Consultant Child Neurologist at the University Hôpital Salpêtrière and Head of the Pediatric Epilepsy Unit, Paris, France, 1991 - 1997.
Currently involved in clinical and research activities such as pharmacological and surgical management and genetics of childhood epilepsies and cognitive function and dysfunction in children with focal epilepsies.
- Editor-in-chief, International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) Educational Journal Epileptic Disorders.
- Member of the Executive Committee, the Education Committee and Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Task Force of the ILAE.
- Associate editor of the European Journal of Paediatric Neurology.
- President of the Experts Committee on Autism and Neuro-Development, Fondation de France.
- Recipient of the Ambassador For Epilepsy Award of the ILAE.
- Principal investigator and Coordinator EPILETRE Study (Epilepsy and Mood Regulation Disorders: a Prospective and Longitudinal Study in Children With Newly Diagnosed Epilepsy) - University Hospitals of Lyon, France (ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02568813).
- Scientific Coordinator of the International Consortium for the Research on Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood.
- Scientific Coordinator of the European Commission funded research project NEUROPED (2008-2011).
- Member of the DYCOG research team at the Centre de Recherche en Neurosciences de Lyon (CRNL), Lyon, France.
- Co-chair European Academy of Neurology Subspecialty Scientific Panel Child Neurology.
- Former President of the French Chapter of International League Against Epilepsy.
- Elected Member of the ILAE Commission on European Affairs (2009 - 2013).
- Chair of the Scientific Committee of the European Paediatric Neurology Society (2006 - 2009).
- President of the Société Européenne de Neurologie Pédiatrique (2006 - 2008).
- Former member of the ILAE Paediatrics Commission and the Commission for the Classification of Epilepsies and Epileptic Seizures.
124 publications in peer reviewed journals (h-index = 32)
Author, Co-author or Editor of 10 books in the fields of Child Neurology or Pediatric Epilepsy:
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., JOHNSTON M., O'HARE A., OUVRIER R. Aicardi's Diseases of the Nervous System in Childhood, McKeith Press, 2017.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., CROSS J.H., GAILLARD W.D., HOLTHAUSEN H., JAYAKAR P., KAHANE P., MATHERN G. Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery, John Libbey Eurotext, 2016.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., GUERRINI R., AICARDI J. Aicardi's Epilepsy in Children, 3rd edition. Lippincott & Williams, 2004.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., ALDENKAMP A., CROSS H., LASSONDE M., MOSHE S.L., SCHMITZ B. Cognitive dysfunction in children with temporal lobe epilepsy, John Libbey Eurotext, 2005.
- FERNANDEZ-ALVAREZ E., ARZIMANOGLOU A, TOLOSA E. Paediatric movement disorders: progress in understanding, John Libbey Eurotext, 2005.
- HELMSTAEDTER Ch., HERMANN B., LASSONDE M., KAHANE Ph., ARZIMANOGLOU A. Neuropsychology in the care of people with epilepsy, John Libbey Eurotext, 2011.
- DUCHOWNY M, CROSS H, ARZIMANOGLOU A. Pediatric Epilepsy, McGraw Hill, USA, 2012.
- ARTS W.F.M, ARZIMANOGLOU A., BROUWER O.F., CAMFIELD C., CAMFIELD P. Outcome of childhood epilepsies, John Libbey Eurotext, 2013.
- THOMAS P., ARZIMANOGLOU A. (authors) EPILEPSIES (Masson, 2nd and 3rd edition). Translated in Italian (Le Epilessie: Diagnosi e trattamento with R. Guerrini), Spanish and Greek.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., GOUTIERES F. (eds) Trends in child neurology, John Libbey Eurotext, Paris, 1996.
- Professor Visitant Universitat de Barcelona, Spain.
- Professor of Neurology and Child Neurology at College de Medecine des Hopitaux de Paris, France.
- Member of the Academic Board of the French University Diploma on Clinical Epileptology.