José Hinojosa Mena-Bernal
I graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the Universidad de Valladolid in 1991. Shortly after that, I completed my training in Neurosurgery at the Hospital Ramón y Cajal de Madrid, and obtained a doctorate in Medicine from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
I have worked mainly in the field of paediatric neurosurgery, initially at the Hospital 12 de Octubre as head of the Pediatric Neurosurgery Department, and subsequently as Head of the Neurosurgery Department at the Hospital del Niño Jesús (Madrid), before joining the SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital.
Parallel to this, I have also held managerial positions in different national and international scientific societies. More particularly, I was the President of the Spanish Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery (SENEP), Secretary and Treasurer of the Spanish Society of Neurosurgery (SENEC), and later as the Scientific Chairman of the European Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ESPN), among others.
I divide my free time between my family and my hobbies. I am passionate about classical music, mountain activities and diving. The pediatric neurosurgery discipline has appealed to me since I started my career. I believe that working in this field is about serving both children (our patients) and their families.
- Chairman of the Scientific Committee (European Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery), 2015–2019.
- PhD from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (July 2015)
- Introductory course to quality management systems, ISO standard 9001:2008. Hospital 12 de Octubre, 2013.
- Course in Advanced Clinical Management. Pfizer Chair of Clinical Management. Fundación Pfizer, 2010.
- Specialist in Neurosurgery. Hospital Ramón y Cajal, 1992–1997.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery. Universidad de Valladolid, 1985–1991.
- Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil. Professor Sergio Cavalheiro (Fetal Surgery), 2015.
- Albert Einstein Medical College - Montefiore Medical Center, New York (USA). Professor James T. Goodrich (Pediatric Neurosurgery. Craniofacial surgery), 1999 and 2014.
- University of Southern California LAC-USC (USA). Professor Michael J. Apuzzo (Neuro-oncology), 1996.
- Department of Neurosurgery. The University of Texas. (UTHSCSA). San Antonio, Texas (USA). Professor D. Jimenez (Endoscopic craniofacial surgery), 2007.
- Department of Neurological Surgery, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Columbia University, New York (USA). Professor M. Sisti; Professor Solomon (Cerebrovascular surgery), 1994.
- University of Heidelberg (Germany). Professor Aschoff (Hydrocephalus), 1993.
- Endoscopic-assisted treatment of trigonocephaly. J. Hinojosa. Child’s Nerv Syst (2012) 28:1381 - 1387.
- Clinical considerations and surgical approaches to low-grade gliomas in deep hemispheric locations: insular lesions. Hinojosa J, Gil-Robes S, Pascual B. Child’s Nerv Syst (2016) 32:1875 - 1893.
- Espina Bífida Oculta. Lipoma de Cono Medular y Médula Anclada. Hidrocefalia y Sistema Nervioso. J. Hinojosa; B. Pascual; U. Barcik. Pg 183-199. Colección de Medicina Fetal y Perinatal. Manuel Gallo (Spain) Ed. Amolca, 2014.
- Patología malformativa lumbosacra. Cirugía Raquimedular. J. Hinojosa; MJ. Muñoz; B. Pascual. Chap. 24.A. Page 1–17. Viguera editores, 2014. ISBN: 978-84-92931-26-2.
- Syndromic craniosynostosis. Endoscopic treatment of craniosynostosis. J. Hinojosa Textbook of Pediatric Neurosurgery, edited by Concezio D.
- Editorial Committee in “Child’s Nervous System”, and revisor (peer-review) in 11 scientific reviews Scientific communications (national and international): 392. Scientific publications (books; articles): 93.
- Vice-chair of the National Neurosurgery Committee (2014–2018).
- Collaborating lecturer at the Universidad Europea de Madrid (2012–2018).
- Training Committee lecturer of the European Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ESPN); 2008–present.
- Guest lecturer at the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN): Nairobi (Kenya), 2013; Cairo (Egypt), 2014: Chongqing (China), 2015; Beijing (China), 2016.