Manel Juan Otero
I am a doctor of Medicine (MD, Ph.D.), specialised in Immunology since 1994. I have worked as Head of the Clinical Immunology Department at Hospital Clínic de Barcelona (2007 - 2016) and the Immunotherapy Department, which I have led since 2016. In 2017 I became Head of the Immunotherapy Platform at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital.
My responsibilities include the diagnosis of immunodeficiencies, coordination in cytometry and the development of immunotherapy using two main approaches: DCs and CART.
I have been an Associate Lecturer in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Barcelona (UB) since 2015. I have supervised 4 doctoral theses and co-supervised another 4 doctoral candidates. I have published 69 articles in journals with an IF (impact factor): 3 national and 65 international, and 95 articles in total (with an IF of 475,221).
I have spoken at 76 national and 92 international conferences. I am currently working on 3 projects and I have previously participated in 9 as principal investigator. I am also participating in 14 investigations as a collaborator and in 3 licenses (3 PCT).
I am an immunologist because Immunology enables a global approach (molecular, cellular and clinical) to the diseases and therapies in which the immune system is a defining element.
- PhD in Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Barcelona, 1994
- Immunology specialist, Hospital Clínic, 1994.
- Visiting doctor at the Herlev Hospital in Denmark, 2017.
- Visiting Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 2013.
- Visitor at Benaroya Research Institute, Seattle, 2003.
- Visitor at the National Jewish Center, Denver, 1992.
- Cancer immunotherapy, 2013 - present.
- T lymphocyte response, class II tetramers, 2006 - 2013.
- Role of chemokines in the immune and autoimmune response, 1997 - 2006.
- Adhesion molecules, ICAM3, 1990 - 1996.
- Associate Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine at the University of Barcelona, since 2015.