Currently, I am director of the Unit of Epilepsy and Neurophysiology of the SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital and coordinator of the European Reference Network (ERN) for complex epilepsies EpiCare from the same centre. I have been director of the Epilepsy, Sleep and Pediatric Neurophysiology Department at the University Hospitals of Lyon, France. I am also member of the DYCOG research team at the Centre de Recherche en Neurosciences de Lyon (France). My clinical and research activities are focused on: the pharmacological and surgical management of childhood epilepsies, the cognitive development and emotional regulation disorders in children with focal epilepsies.
- Board Certified in Neurology, 1989.
- Residency at the Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière and training in Child Neurology, as a pupil of Jean Aicardi, at the Hôpital Necker des Enfants Malades, 1984 - 1991.
- Training in Neurology at the Northwick Park Hospital and at Queen Square, University College London (UK), 1982 - 1983.
- Degree in Medicine. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1981.
- Appointed Director of the Epilepsy, Sleep and Paediatric Neurophysiology Department, University Hospitals of Lyon, Hôpital Femme-Mère-Enfant (HFME), Lyon, France, from 2008 onwards.
- Appointed University Hospital Practitioner in Child Neurology & Head of the Epilepsy Program at University Hospital Robert Debré, Paris, France, 1998 - 2008.
- Consultant Child Neurologist at the University Hôpital Salpêtrière and Head of the Pediatric Epilepsy Unit, Paris, France, 1991 - 1997.
Currently involved in clinical and research activities such as pharmacological and surgical management and genetics of childhood epilepsies and cognitive function and dysfunction in children with focal epilepsies.
- Editor-in-chief, International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) Educational Journal Epileptic Disorders.
- Member of the Executive Committee, the Education Committee and Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Task Force of the ILAE.
- Associate editor of the European Journal of Paediatric Neurology.
- President of the Experts Committee on Autism and Neuro-Development, Fondation de France.
- Recipient of the Ambassador For Epilepsy Award of the ILAE.
- Principal investigator and Coordinator EPILETRE Study (Epilepsy and Mood Regulation Disorders: a Prospective and Longitudinal Study in Children With Newly Diagnosed Epilepsy) - University Hospitals of Lyon, France (ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02568813).
- Scientific Coordinator of the International Consortium for the Research on Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood.
- Scientific Coordinator of the European Commission funded research project NEUROPED (2008-2011).
- Member of the DYCOG research team at the Centre de Recherche en Neurosciences de Lyon (CRNL), Lyon, France.
- Co-chair European Academy of Neurology Subspecialty Scientific Panel Child Neurology.
- Former President of the French Chapter of International League Against Epilepsy.
- Elected Member of the ILAE Commission on European Affairs (2009 - 2013).
- Chair of the Scientific Committee of the European Paediatric Neurology Society (2006 - 2009).
- President of the Société Européenne de Neurologie Pédiatrique (2006 - 2008).
- Former member of the ILAE Paediatrics Commission and the Commission for the Classification of Epilepsies and Epileptic Seizures.
- 124 publications in peer reviewed journals (h-index = 32)
- Author, Co-author or Editor of 10 books in the fields of Child Neurology or Pediatric Epilepsy:
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., JOHNSTON M., O'HARE A., OUVRIER R. Aicardi's Diseases of the Nervous System in Childhood, McKeith Press, 2017.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., CROSS J.H., GAILLARD W.D., HOLTHAUSEN H., JAYAKAR P., KAHANE P., MATHERN G. Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery, John Libbey Eurotext, 2016.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., GUERRINI R., AICARDI J. Aicardi's Epilepsy in Children, 3rd edition. Lippincott & Williams, 2004.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., ALDENKAMP A., CROSS H., LASSONDE M., MOSHE S.L., SCHMITZ B. Cognitive dysfunction in children with temporal lobe epilepsy, John Libbey Eurotext, 2005.
- FERNANDEZ-ALVAREZ E., ARZIMANOGLOU A, TOLOSA E. Paediatric movement disorders: progress in understanding, John Libbey Eurotext, 2005.
- HELMSTAEDTER Ch., HERMANN B., LASSONDE M., KAHANE Ph., ARZIMANOGLOU A. Neuropsychology in the care of people with epilepsy, John Libbey Eurotext, 2011.
- DUCHOWNY M, CROSS H, ARZIMANOGLOU A. Pediatric Epilepsy, McGraw Hill, USA, 2012.
- ARTS W.F.M, ARZIMANOGLOU A., BROUWER O.F., CAMFIELD C., CAMFIELD P. Outcome of childhood epilepsies, John Libbey Eurotext, 2013.
- THOMAS P., ARZIMANOGLOU A. (authors) EPILEPSIES (Masson, 2nd and 3rd edition). Translated in Italian (Le Epilessie: Diagnosi e trattamento with R. Guerrini), Spanish and Greek.
- ARZIMANOGLOU A., GOUTIERES F. (eds) Trends in child neurology, John Libbey Eurotext, Paris, 1996.
- Professor Visitant Universitat de Barcelona, Spain.
- Professor of Neurology and Child Neurology at College de Medecine des Hopitaux de Paris, France.
- Member of the Academic Board of the French University Diploma on Clinical Epileptology.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.