Carlos Justo Valencia Calderón
Hydrocephalus, pain and rachis (back)
You will find me at
English, Spanish, Catalan
I've been working as a specialist in the Neurosurgery Department at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital since June 2021. Before, I worked in neurology and neurosurgery departments in hospitals in Barcelona, such as CIMA, Clínica del Remei and Clínica Corachán, and at Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Hospital Baca Ortiz in Quito (Ecuador), and Hospital Juan Ramón Jiménez in Huelva (Spain).
- Master's degree in Functional and Stereotactic Neurosurgery. Degree in Clinical Neurosciences. International University of Andalusia, 2020-2021.
- Certificate in Clinical Neurophysiology from Francisco de Vitoria University (UFV), Madrid, June - September 2020.
- Physician specialized in Neurosurgery. Ciutat Sanitaria i Universitària de Bellvitge, L'Hospitalet Llobregat (Barcelona), 2006 - 2011.
- PhD in Medicine and Surgery, Cum Laude. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2002.
- PhD in Neurology from the State University of Guayaquil, Hospital del Instituto Ecuatoriano de la Seguridad Social "Dr. Teodoro Maldonado Carbo". First place winner of the official national competition, 1993 - 1998.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, State University of Guayaquil, Ecuador, 1992.
- Neurosurgery specialist at Hospital Baca Ortiz in Quito, Ecuador, 2012 - 2018.
- Researcher for the PROMETEO project at SENESCYT, Multidisciplinary Unit for Refractory Epilepsy, 2013-2018.
- Researcher for the CLEAR III (Clot lysis: evaluating accelerated resolution of intraventricular hemorrhage) project, Johns Hopkins University, 2010-2011.
- Researcher for the RESCUEicp (Randomised evaluation of surgery with craniectomy for uncontrollable elevation of intra-cranial pressure) project, University of Cambridge. 2008 - 2010.
- Researcher for the MATCH (Management of atherothrombosis with clopidogrel in high-risk patients with recent transient ischemic attack or ischemic stroke) project, Sanofi-Synthelabo, 2001-2002.
- Researcher for the ASTIN (Acute Stroke treatment by inhibition of neutrophils) project, Pfizer Central Research, 2000-2001.
- Researcher for the AVASIS (Aspirine vs anticoagulants in symptomatic intracranial stenosis) project, Fondo de Investigación Sanitaria (Spanish Health Research Fund), Instituto de Salud Carlos III.
- Postgraduate professor in Neurosurgery, Neonatology and Radiology at the Faculty of Medicine at Universidad San Francisco de Quito, 2016-2017.
- Undergraduate professor at the Faculty of Medicine at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, 2017-2018.
- Undergraduate professor at the Faculty of Medicine at the International University of Ecuador, 2016-2018.
- Director of the Teaching and Research Department at Hospital Pediátrico Baca Ortiz, 2013-2018.
- Professor for the Neurological Care course. UGT. Hospital de Bellvitge, 2007.
- Assistant professor for the Master's Degree in Cognitive Stimulation at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Neurology Service of Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, 2004-2007.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.