Héctor Salvador Hernández
Predisposition to cancer and neurocutaneous syndromes
You will find me at
English, Spanish and Catalan
I have been an assistant doctor at the Oncology and Haematology Department at the SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital for more than 10 years. I am in charge of the area of neurocutaneous syndromes and predisposition to cancer. We are the only recognised national paediatric centre of excellence for these types of conditions and we also belong to the European network of predisposition to cancer (GENTURIS). The principal objective of our unit is to offer a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach of excellence to these children to enable them to access the most innovative therapies.
My area of expertise is both the detection and early diagnosis of the main syndromes that produce tumours in childhood, as well as the medical management of the tumours associated with them. Another of the main areas of work is the medical treatment of gliomas in the visual pathways and neurofibromas associated with neurofibromatosis. I believe it is very important to know how to accompany the child, the family and their environment in the disease process.
- Cancer development laboratory. Fundació Sant Joan de Déu [SJD Foundation] 2007-2008.
- Training period in the Genetic Counselling Unit of the Institut Català d'Oncologia (Catalan Institute of Oncology - ICO), 2008.
- Specialist in Paediatrics and Specific Areas. SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital (Universitat de Barcelona), 2002 - 2007.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1996 - 2002.
- Researcher at the Cancer Development Laboratory. Institut de Recerca Sant Joan de Déu [SJD Research Institute], since 2008.
- Collaboration as a researcher in the Neurofibromatosis Working Group. Institut Català d’Oncologia (Catalan Institute of Oncology) - Institut de Recerca Germans Trias i Pujol (Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute).
- The molecular landscape of glioma in patients with Neurofibromatosis 1. D’Angelo F, Ceccarelli M, Salvador H, Iavarone A. Nat Med. Gen 2019.
- Early Genetic Diagnosis of Neurofibromatosis Type 2 From Skin Plaque Plexiform Schwannomas in Childhood. Castellanos E, Plana A, Salvador H, Bielsa I; per a CSUR Phakomatoses Multidisciplinary Clinics. JAMA Dermatol. Mar 2018.
- Cancer and Central Nervous System Tumor Surveillance in Pediatric Neurofibromatosis 2 and Related Disorders. Evans DGR, Salvador H, Chang VY, Erez A, Voss SD, Druker H, Scott HS, Tabori U. Clin Cancer Res. Jun 2017.
- Cancer and Central Nervous System Tumor Surveillance in Pediatric Neurofibromatosis 1. Evans DGR, Salvador H, Chang VY, Erez A, Voss SD, Schneider KW, Scott HS, Plon SE, Tabori U. Clin Cancer Res. Jun 2017.
- Cancer Screening Recommendations and Clinical Management of Inherited Gastrointestinal Cancer Syndromes in Childhood. Achatz MI, Porter CC, Salvador H, Plon SE. Clin Cancer Res. Jun 2017.
- Preclinical platform of retinoblastoma xenografts recapitulating human disease and molecular markers of dissemination. Pascual-Pastó G, Olaciregui NG, Salvador H, Carcaboso AM. Cancer Lett. Set 2016.
- Lecturer in the Master’s Degree in Biomedicine, Univesitat de Barcelona, since 2017.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.