Joan Sanchez de Toledo
Cardiac Intensive Care
You will find me at
English, Spanish, Catalan
Since starting my professional career, I have been dedicated to caring for critically ill patients with congenital and/or acquired heart diseases. My special interest has been to improve the quality of life of patients with heart diseases, without forgetting about their family. We cannot be satisfied with what we see around us even if we think it is what is best. There is always someone who can help us improve.
- Pediatric Cardiology Specialist for the Spanish Pediatric Cardiology Society, 2015.
- Doctor of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2013.
- Certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, 2006.
- Degree in Medicine, Faculty of Medicine. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2000.
- Pediatric Specialist.
- Pediatric Cardiology Specialist.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Specialist.
- Cardiac Intensive Care Specialist.
- Cardiac Intensive Care specialist for the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Intensive Care specialist for the Department of Critical Care Medicine; Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh (University of Pittsburgh; Pennsylvania, USA) and the Department of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (Women and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, New York, USA).
- Neonatology specialist for the Hospital Vall d’Hebron, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
- Spanish Society of Emergency Medicine, Banda Aceh Rescue Operation – Indonesia, December 2006.
- Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation, Paediatric Emergency Department – Santiago de Cali, Columbia, December 1999.
- Gil-Juanmiquel L, Gratacós M, Castilla-Fernández Y, Piqueras J, Baust T, Raguer N, Perez-Hoyos, Abella RF, Sanchez-de-Toledo J, Bedside ultrasound for the diagnosis of abnormal diaphragmatic motion in children after heart surgery, Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2016.
- Vockley J, Charrow J, Ganesh J, Eswara M, Diaz GA, McCracken E, Conway R, Enns GM, Starr J, Wang R, Abdenur JE, Sanchez-de-Toledo J, Marsden DL. Triheptanoin; treatment in patients with pediatric cardiomyopathy associated with long chain-fatty acid oxidation disorders. Mol Genet Metab. 2016 Aug 27. PubMed PMID: 27590926.
- Panigrahy A, Lee V, Ceschin R, Zuccoli G, Beluk N, Khalifa O, Votava-Smith JK, DeBrunner M, Munoz R, Domnina Y, Morell V, Wearden P, Sanchez De Toledo J, Devine W, Zahid M, Lo CW. Brain Dysplasia Associated with Ciliary Dysfunction in Infants with Congenital Heart Disease. J Pediatr. 2016 Aug 26. PubMed PMID: 27574995.
- Sanchez-de-Toledo J, Bayir H. Oxygen: A Luxurious Life-Giving and Potentially Toxic Gas. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2016 Apr;17(4):371-2. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4846341.
- Sanchez-de-Toledo J, Perez-Ortiz A, Gil L, Baust T, Linés-Palazón M, Perez-Hoyos S, Gran F, Abella RF. Early Initiation of Renal Replacement Therap in Pediatric Heart Surgery Is Associated with Lower Mortality. Pediatr Cardiol. 2015 Dec 21. PubMed PMID: 26687178.
- Assistant professor, Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh,
- Point of Care Ultrasound Pediatric Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.