Josep Brugada Terradellas
Brugada Syndrome. Cardiology and Arrhythmias. Electrophysiology
You will find me at
Spanish, Catalan, English, French and Italian
My job has allowed me to accumulate over 20 years of experience in the treatment of arrhythmias and sudden death. I have published 350 original articles and 10 books. I have given over 450 presentations in various congresses and have organised some fifty courses. I also have extensive experience in the field of research and teaching: I have supervised several doctoral theses and have acted as a mentor to numerous international fellows in the fields of electrophysiology and arrhythmias. I have chaired the European Heart Rhythm Association and I am the head of Electrophysiology and Arrhythmias in the European Society of Cardiology’s Science Committee. I actively participate in 14 professional associations, both national and international.
- Master’s degree in Integrated Health Services Management. ESADE Business School (2004–2005).
- Cardiology Specialist, Montpellier, and Sports Medicine and Biology Specialist, Montpellier (1987–1988).
- PhD in Medicine and Surgery, University of Barcelona (1986–1987).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine and Surgery, University of Barcelona (1978–1982).
- In the field of scientific activity, Josep Brugada described, together with his brothers Pedro and Ramón, what is known in medical literature as Brugada Syndrome. It is a hereditary disease that increases the risk of sudden cardiac death.
- Participation in over 400 original articles about cardiac arrhythmias, treatment of tachycardia with catheter ablation and the prevention of sudden deaths (texts in specialised magazines such as Nature, New England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet, Circulation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, etc).
- Cited author in over 9,500 scientific articles.
Pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapy for arrhythmias in the pediatric population: EHRA and AEPC-Arrhythmia Working Group joint consensus statement. Brugada J; et al. Europace 2013.
Single-catheter radiofrequency ablation of a permanent junctional reciprocating tachycardia in a premature neonate. Femenía F, Sarquella-Brugada G, Brugada J. Cardiol Young. 2012 Oct; 22(5):606-9.
Brugada Syndrome. Brugada R, Campuzano O, Brugada P, Brugada J, Hong K. In: Pagon RA, Adam MP, Bird TD, Dolan CR, Fong CT, Stephens K, editors. GeneReviews. University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2013 [updated 16 August 2012].
A mutation in the sodium channel is responsible for the association of long QT syndrome and familial atrial fibrillation. Benito B, Brugada R, Perich RM, Lizotte E, Cinca J, Mont L, Berruezo A, Tolosana JM, Freixa X, Brugada P, Brugada J. Heart Rhythm. 2008 Oct; 5(10): 1434-40.
Accessory pathway localization by QRS polarity in children with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Boersma L, García-Moran E, Mont L, Brugada J. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2002 Dec; 13(12):1222-6.
- Professor of Medicine at the University of Barcelona since 2010.
- Teacher in the Medicine Department at the University of Barcelona since 1997.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.