Alejandro Peiró García
After graduating in medicine and surgery from the Universitat de València, I specialised in orthopedic surgery and traumatology via a medical intern residency (MIR) at the Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Insular Materno-Infantil de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, where I also began my training in spine surgery. Later, I formed part of the Rachis Unit at the Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Doctor Negrín. I had the chance to complete several spinal surgery training residencies both in Spain and abroad, as well as to participate in several research projects and give presentations at national and international conferences.
I was then fortunate to complete a two-year fellowship in pediatric spinal surgery in Canada, through the University of Calgary and Alberta Children's Hospital, where I obtained the title of specialist in pediatric spinal surgery. After my time abroad, I returned to Spain and became part of the Spinal Pathology Unit of the Hospital Fundación Jiménez Díaz in Madrid with Dr Álvarez Galovich, a centre of excellence in adult spinal deformity surgery.
The mission of the Pediatric Spinal Unit of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital, where I currently work, involves ensuring efficiency and safety in spinal surgeries, implementing the latest technologies, and initiating multicentre research to improve the management of early-onset scoliosis.
- PhD in Medical Education, University of Calgary (Canada), 2017.
- Fellowship in Pediatric Spine Surgery, Alberta Children's Hospital (Canada), 2016–2017.
- Fellowship at AO Spine, the Scientific Education and Research Institute (SERI), Denver, Colorado (USA), 2015.
- Spine Unit, Hospital Clínico San Carlos, Madrid, 2015.
- Speciality in Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (MIR), Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Insular Materno Infantil de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, 2016.
- Bachelor's degree in Medicine and Surgery, Universitat de València, 2010.
- Pediatric Spinal Surgery Unit in the Pediatric Orthopedics Department of Alberta Children's Hospital (Canada), 2016–2018.
- Adult spine deformity surgery, Foothills Medical Centre (Canada), 2017.
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery, Center for Spine and Orthopedics, Denver, Colorado (USA), 2015.
- Research into scoliosis surgery simulation on resident doctors, University of Calgary (Canada), 2019.
- Research into the use of growing rods for early-onset scoliosis combined with pre-operative halo, University Of Calgary, 2016–2018.
- Research into magnetic growing rods, University of Calgary, 2016–2018.
- Research into VEPTR systems, University of Calgary, 2016–2018.
- Research into improving the efficiency and safety of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery through the combined use of intra-surgical transkeletal traction and navigation, University of Calgary, 2016–2018.
- Research into the influence of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery on the sagittal profile, University of Calgary, 2016–2018.