If you have a surgical procedure or diagnostic test scheduled at the Ambulatory Surgery Unit (UCA) of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital, please read carefully and follow the instructions below.
The Ambulatory Surgery Unit is located on the 2nd floor of the Hospital. It can be reached from the main lobby (which is accessed through the square) and is at the back, on the left hand side.
- We will call you 24-48 hours before the surgery and also on the day after.
- We will be happy to resolve any doubts you may have during these phone calls.
- We will give you all of the information you need about what you have to do before the operation, the documentation you will need and also what you have to do afterwards, when you are back at home.
- We will tell you for how many hours your child should fast, depending on their age, and the type of surgery that will be performed.
- It is very important that children come to surgery on an empty stomach so that they can be given anaesthesia or sedation. Failure to follow this guideline could put the patient at risk or force the postponement of the surgery.
- Children should arrive clean and freshly showered or bathed from head to toe.
- They should not be wearing makeup or fingernail polish. Leave their earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces and piercings at home.
- You need to bring a bag with a toiletry bag, pyjamas and slippers.
- Patients may be accompanied by two adults during their stay in hospital, which will be a few hours. Only one parent may accompany the child into the operating room.
- You must return home using your own vehicle.
For a patient to be eligible to undergo an ambulatory surgery, the following conditions must be met:
- The child is over 6 months old and has a benign condition.
- The surgery has a low bleeding risk, lasts less than one hour and requires little post-operative healing.
- The family lives close to the hospital, in the event of any emergency.
- The family must have its own vehicle and telephone.
- The parents should take part in the child's healing process, observe him/her during the post-operative period, and administer analgesic drugs orally or rectally.
IMPORTANT: let us know if there is any problem. If in the days prior to the surgery the child has fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, bronchitis or any contagious disease such as chickenpox, call us from 8:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the telephone number +34 93 253 21 60.