Carmen Muñoz Almagro
After having completed my Bachelor's degree in Medicine in 1988 and carrying out part of my clinical activities in the field of Paediatrics, in 1991 I redirected my professional career towards the Molecular Microbiology field. I currently combine healthcare, teaching and research. I am the coordinator of a translational research group specialising in infectious paediatric diseases. The group belongs to CIBERESP (Biomedical Research Networking Centre for Epidemiology and Public Health) and is recognised as a consolidated research group by the Government of Catalonia. I have published over 170 scientific articles and led various national and international research projects. I believe progress is adaptation and adaptation is progress.
- PhD in Medicine. University of Barcelona, 2005.
- Postgraduate degree in Human Immunodeficiency Virus, 1997.
- Specialist in Clinical Microbiology and Parasitology. Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona Children's Hospital, 1993.
- Bachelor's degree in Medicine. University of Navarra, 1988.
- Interbio Mobility Grant award. Visiting investigator at the Institute of Chemical and Biological Technology (ITQB). Oeiras (Portugal), July 2011.
- Medical Technology Program. Michigan State University (United States). July 2002.
- Vice-president of the Catalan Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology.
- Head of CIBERESP (Biomedical Research Networking Centre for Epidemiology and Public Health) Group 57, since December 2015.
- Head of the Catalan Public Health Agency Support Laboratory for pneumococcal and meningococcal disease and pertussis, since 2011.
- Coordinator of the Infectious Diseases Department, Paediatric Research Institute. Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona Children's Hospital, since 2006.
- European R&D Project Reviewer, Horizon 2020 Programme. European Commission, since 2014.
- Microbiology Department Coordinator for the European project "Setting up a sentinel system to assess the burden of whooping cough in EU/EEA (PERTINENT)", since January 2015.
- Over 170 international scientific publications.
- Associate lecturer at the International University of Catalonia, since 2016.
- Lecturer on the Master's degree in Microbiology. University of Barcelona - Autonomous University of Barcelona, since 2014.
- Lecturer on the BIOLAC Master's degree (Clinical Analysis Laboratory). Pompeu Fabra University, since 2014.
- Collaborating external lecturer for the Bioinformatics degree at the School of International Studies (ESCI). Pompeu Fabra University, since 2016.