Joaquim Casañas Sintes
I am a specialist in hand and peripheral nerve surgery, and I hold a European diploma in hand surgery. I have been an international member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) since 2012, a member of the European Society for Surgery of the Hand since 2002, and I am also an honorary member of the Mexican Society of Surgery of the Hand. Since 2012, I have been chair of the Spanish Society for Surgery of the Hand (SECMA). My work is currently focused on research and development of microsurgical repair techniques of the obstetric and adult brachial plexus, on the peripheral nerve and on neuropathic pain.
Since the beginning of my medical career in the faculty of medicine, I have taken a keen interest in reconstructive surgery, especially that related to neurology. It is highly gratifying and professionally rewarding to see the joy that I can bring to families and injured patients by allowing them to regain movement or overcome paralysis after an accident.
- PhD in Medicine and Surgery, Universitat de Barcelona, 2002.
- European Diploma in Hand Surgery, 2001.
- Specialist in Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, 1993.
- Fellowship at Mayo Clinic, 2005.
- Fellowship in hand surgery and brachial plexus in the Avicenne and Bichat hospitals, Paris, 1997.
- First in Spain in the use of electrophysiologically monitored surgery, peripheral nerve surgery and obstetric and adult brachial plexus.
- Researcher into PRP and mesenchymal cells in nerve repair, since 2011.
- Principal investigator in the area of vascularised and free nerve grafts, with FIS scholarships, 1994-1998.
Lectures, conferences and congresses
- Guest speaker at 15 instructional courses for the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH).
- Organiser of more than 50 meetings on Peripheral Nerve and Brachial Plexus.
- Co-director of the National Wrist Arthroscopy Programme by the Spanish Association of Microsurgery (AEM).
- Lecturer on the Master’s on Surgery of the Hand, Universitat de Barcelona.
- Lecturer at the of Universitata International de Catalunya.
- Lecturer in Physiotherapy at Universitat Gimbernat.