Maria Cols has worked as Head of the Pediatric Pulmonology Department of the Sant Joan de Déu Hostpital, Barcelona since 2008 and has been care-coordinator for cystic fibrosis since 2012. In the Hospital, she is also part of the multidisciplinary teams dealing with home mechanical ventilation, airway care, comprehensive treatment of neuromuscular patients and obstructive sleep apnoea hypopnoea syndrome. She is also an active member in various scientific societies, such as the Sociedad Española de Neumología Pediátrica - SENP (spanish society of pediatric pulmonology) and the Asociación Española de Pediatría - AEP (spanish association of pediatrics). She collaborates in different working groups, such as the advisory committee for minority diseases of IPER (Pediatric Institute of Rare Diseases), in order to continuously improve patient care.
- Sub-specialisation in Pediatric Pulmonology through the Sociedad Española de Neumología Pediátrica - SENP (spanish society of pediatric pulmonology) and the Asociación Española de Pediatría - AEP (spanish association of pediatrics), 2015.
- Training residency in the Pulmonary Division. Boston Children's Hospital - Harvard Medical School, Boston, 2006.
- Training residency in the Childhood Pulmonology and Cystic Fibrosis Unit. Hospital Vall d’Hebrón, 2005.
- Specialist in Pediatrics and Specific Areas, 2003.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1998. Extraordinary degree award, 1999.
- Participation in more than one hundred courses and conferences between 1999 and 2018.
She has participated in more than 40 publications and articles in different national and international journals. Among the most recent articles are the following:
- Deyà-Martínez A, Esteve-Solé A, Vélez-Tirado N, Celis V, Costa J, Cols M et al. Sirolimus as an alternative treatment in patients with granulomatous-lymphocytic lung disease and humoral immunodeficiency with impaired regulatory T-cells. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2018 Mar 12. doi: 10.1111 / pai.12890.
- Diab-Cáceres L, Girón-Moreno RM, Pastor-Sanz MT, Quintana-Gallego E, Delgado-Pecellín I, Blanco-Aparicio M and Cols. Compassionate Use of Lumacaftor/Ivacaftor in Cystic Fibrosis: Spanish Experience. Arch Bronconeumol. 2018; 54 (12): 614-8.
- Cols Roig M. Most relevant articles in children's pulmonology. Available in 4Doctors, 2017.
- Cols Roig M. Non-invasive home ventilation (NIV) in pediatrics. Available in 4Doctors, 2017.
- Cols Roig M, Torrent Vernetta A. Complicaciones respiratorias y seguimiento del paciente neuromuscular. Protoc diagn ter pediatr. 2017;1:357-367.
- López-Causapé C, de Dios-Caballero J, Cobo M, Escribano A, Asensio Ó, Oliver A and Cols. Antibiotic resistance and population structure of cystic fibrosis Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates from a multi-center study. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2017 Sep;50 (3):334-341
- Cols Roig M. Respiratory management of the neuromuscular patient. Available in 4Doctors, 2017.
- Tutor of Pediatrics residents at Sant Joan de Déu Hospital, Barcelona, since 2011.
- Member of the Local Teaching Commission: Pediatrics spokesperson and tutor coordinator, since 2011.
- Teaching lead of the Pediatric Pulmonary Unit, since 2008.
- More than 80 papers presented at congresses, professional associations or universities.