María Dolores Navarro Rubio
I have a PhD in Medicine and Surgery, having specialised in Preventive Medicine and Public Health. I currently run the Patients Participation and Training Area at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital. I have previously held the positions of Director of the Albert J. Jovell Institute of Public Health and Patients (International University of Catalonia, UIC) and lecturer responsible for the area of Epidemiology and Public Health in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (UIC). I have worked as first-year tutor at Harvard Medical School and Harvard Dental School.
I have also been Chair of the Spanish Patients’ Forum, member of the European Patients’ Forum Advisory Group and member of the Scientific Committee of the Innovative Medicines Initiative. In addition, I have been Deputy Director of the Josep Laporte Foundation, Director of the Health and Women Observatory, Academic Director of the Patients’ University, member of the Board of Directors of the European Patients’ Forum, member of the Catalonia Bioethics Committee, Chair of the Catalan Patients’ Forum, Head of Planning and Research and Director of the Mútua de Terrassa Fundation for biomedical and social research and teaching, and Head of the Research Management Unit of the Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Medical Research of the Catalan health service.
I have extensive teaching and research experience in the areas of Epidemiology and public health, maternal and child health, women, family and social behaviour. I have also done research in the field of evidence-based medicine, the evaluation of healthcare technology and participation, and patient training and rights. I am a member of scientific committees and I have written a number of different publications and participated in numerous debate forums, award juries and boards over the last twenty years, both nationally and internationally.
- IESE Business School Diploma in Strategic Management and Social Leadership. University of Navarra, 2011.
- Master in Communication Management. Pompeu Fabra University, 2006.
- Doctor in Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Medicine. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1995.
- Master in Public Health. Harvard University, 1992
- Master's Degree in Maternal and Child Health. Harvard University, 1991
- Diploma in Methods and Techniques of data analysis in Health Sciences. University of Barcelona, 1988
- Member of the Advisory Group on Health Policy of the European Patient Forum, Brussels (Belgium), 2012 - present.
- Tutor Professor at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry of Harvard University, Boston (United States), 2015 - 2016.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the European Patients Forum, Brussels (Belgium), 2008 - 2012.
- Associate researcher. School of Public Health of the University of Harvard. Department of Health and Social Behavior, Boston (United States), 1992 - 1994.
- Associate researcher. School of Public Health of the University of Harvard. Department of Management and Health Policy, Boston (United States), 1991 - 1992.
- Associate researcher. School of Public Health of the University of Harvard. Department of Maternal and Child Health, Boston (United States), 1989 - 1990.
- Reviewer EIT Health Campus, European Institute of Innovation and Technology, 2015 - 2017.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Innovative Medicine Initiative, 2013 - 2015.
- Academic Director of the University of Patients, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2005 - 2012.
- Head of Research. Agency for the Evaluation of Technology and Biomedical Research, 2002 - 2005.
- Director of the Mútua de Terrassa Foundation for Biomedical and Social Research and Teaching, 2000 - 2002.
- Head of Planning and Research. Head of the Research Unit. Mútua de Terrassa, 1995 - 2000.
- Postgraduate in Patients Advocacy, Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Skills and Techniques of Scientific Communication, Degree of Medicine, University of Vic.
- Public Health, Degree in Nursing, Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Community Health and Public Health, Degree in Physiotherapy, Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.