We offer treatment on an outpatient basis to children who require it without having to be admitted or separated from their family environment.
At the paediatric Day Hospital, we care for patients from different specialties in a single dedicated space. The aim is for children to receive outpatient treatment during the day without needing to be admitted and to return home when treatment has been completed. The space is divided into two areas: treatments, which are administered in the Day Hospital and the haemodialysis unit, and exploratory tests under sedation or Special Techniques Area (ATE).
At SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital, we care for more than 1,500 patients each year, to whom we administer more than 10,500 treatments.
We mainly receive Oncology and Haematology patients whose chemotherapy treatments last several hours. The Day Hospital also treats patients with rheumatological problems, kidney failure or other chronic diseases. The space is equipped with cubicles to perform tolerance and immunoallergy tests.
Operation of the Day Hospital
Since different types of treatment, tests and even outpatient surgery are performed, we ask that you take into account the instructions that the staff of the Day Hospital give you before you arrive. In some cases, you should consider whether it is necessary for the child to be fasting and the requirements for the procedure to be performed.
Special safety measures related to COVID-19
IMPORTANT: Limit the number of companions to one person per patient to avoid crowds in the Hospital. If you arrive more than 20 minutes early, we ask you to wait outside the hospital grounds.
If the patient has a fever or any symptoms that are unusual and you have doubts about whether or not they can receive treatment, please call the Day Hospital on +34 93 253 21 14. If necessary, the visit will be rescheduled for the following weeks.
IMPORTANT: If for some reason you cannot attend the scheduled appointment, please call +34 93 253 21 14 to let us know and schedule another day.
Why SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital?
The Paediatric Day Hospital has progressively incorporated new techniques and procedures to ensure that the treatment of our patients interferes as little as possible in their daily lives.
Changes have also been implemented to improve the environment and treat the patient's medical needs whilst ensuring their comfort and well-being.
Renovated facilities and daily visits from hospital clowns.
Renovated facilities and daily visits from hospital clowns
SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital has recently renovated its facilities. The design of the space simulates a forest in which the cubicles and individual rooms ensure privacy for patients and their families. The open space also allows children to be accompanied by a relative. The communal areas include play areas and other forms of entertainment.
Hospital clowns visit the space every day to help make the stay more pleasant for children and their families and to collaborate with the nursing staff during some procedures.
We offer treatment to patients of any specialty and national and international.
Care for all types of patients
We offer treatment to patients of any specialty and national and international
Day Hospital patients come from different specialties, primarily Oncology and Haematology. We also treat patients with chronic rheumatological or respiratory diseases or who are referred from other specialties such as Gastroenterology, Ophthalmology or Dermatology.
We have two rooms to treat patients with haemodialysis and we carry out tolerance tests when the child is suspected of having some type of allergy.
The number of patients from all over Spain and from overseas has been steadily increasing, matched by the highly specialised care they receive.
We apply a pioneering program to minimize the pain of the children we treat.
We apply a pioneering program to minimize the pain of the children we treat
We implement the pain-free hospital programme in the small procedures, along with the rest of the Departments and Units of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital.
The programme includes pharmacological measures such as the use of ointments, syrups or drops, as well as non-pharmacological measures such as distraction to minimise the pain of the children we treat.
Get to know the Day Hospital of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital,
Specialities and services
Day Hospital is a care unit where the patient can be treated without being separated from their family environment, so that they spend a few hours in the centre but sleep at home. These spaces were designed to administer chemotherapy to paediatric patients, who in most cases required admission.
Medical advances have been able to control the side effects, so it is no longer necessary for the child to sleep in the hospital.
Little by little, this way of caring for children has been incorporated to other treatments (not just oncological). Currently, a wide range of treatments, outpatient procedures and other diagnostic tests are performed for the following specialties:
- Oncology and Haematology (chemotherapy, transfusions, etc.).
- Paediatrics (Rheumatology and Pulmonology).
- Nephrology (intravenous treatment, haemodialysis, etc.).
- Gastroenterology (endoscopies, intravenous treatments, etc.).
- Endocrinology (functional tests).
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology (food and drug allergy tests, treatment of patients with immunodeficiency).
- 23 beds of which 10 are for Oncohaematology, 5 multi-purpose hospital beds, 6 for oral controlled exposure to food and medicines and 2 beds and armchairs in the Haemodialysis Unit.
- 2 isolation chambers with positive and negative pressure based on the patients' needs (immunosuppressed or infectious).
- 3 offices for multi-purpose outpatient consultations to treat patients from the different specialties.
- 850 square metres with several play areas.
- Family zone with coffee maker and microwave, which can only be used by the children and family members admitted to the Day Hospital.
Special Techniques Area (ATE)
The Special Techniques Area (ATE) is located in the Day Hospital at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital. In this space, several types of procedure are performed under anaesthesia for patients who in most cases do not require admission, such as outpatient interventions, diagnostic tests and some types of treatment. Admitted children are also cared for.
The space consists of four armchairs in which patients are prepared before the procedure, two operating rooms (ATE 2 and ATE 3) and a resuscitation area. This space is also where children and their families spend the observation period until they are discharged. Families (up to a maximum of two people) may accompany patients who are admitted for a few hours, and one person is also allowed to accompany the child to the operating room until the patient sleeps. However, sedation is not necessary in all cases. The most common specialties and procedures include:
- Gastroenterology: liver biopsies, endoscopy, etc.
- Dentistry: pulpotomy, extractions, etc.
- Pulmonology and Otorhinolaryngology: bronchoscopies and assessments of the airways.
- Oncology and Haematology: punctures, diagnostic tests, administration of drugs, etc.
- Nephrology: kidney biopsies.
- Rehabilitation: injections of various types.
Information for families
Family members should also notify the Hospital in the following cases:
- If the child has chickenpox or any undiagnosed skin rash, notify us and please avoid visiting the Day Hospital to avoid passing it on to other children.
- If your child is ill or has unexpected symptoms after returning home following discharge from the hospital, you should contact the hospital and we will instruct you what to do.