Carmen Muñoz Almagro
Molecular microbiology - Pneumococcal disease - Pertussis and respiratory microbiome
You will find me at
Spanish, Catalan and English
After having completed my Bachelor's degree in Medicine in 1988 and carrying out part of my clinical activities in the field of Paediatrics, in 1991 I redirected my professional career towards the Molecular Microbiology field. I currently combine healthcare, teaching and research. I am the coordinator of a translational research group specialising in infectious paediatric diseases. The group belongs to CIBERESP (Biomedical Research Networking Centre for Epidemiology and Public Health) and is recognised as a consolidated research group by the Government of Catalonia. I have published over 170 scientific articles and led various national and international research projects. I believe progress is adaptation and adaptation is progress.
- PhD in Medicine. University of Barcelona, 2005.
- Postgraduate degree in Human Immunodeficiency Virus, 1997.
- Specialist in Clinical Microbiology and Parasitology. Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona Children's Hospital, 1993.
- Bachelor's degree in Medicine. University of Navarra, 1988.
- Interbio Mobility Grant award. Visiting investigator at the Institute of Chemical and Biological Technology (ITQB). Oeiras (Portugal), July 2011.
- Medical Technology Program. Michigan State University (United States). July 2002.
- President of the Catalan Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, since Novembre 2018.
- Head of CIBERESP (Biomedical Research Networking Centre for Epidemiology and Public Health) Group 57, since December 2015.
- Head of the Catalan Public Health Agency Support Laboratory for pneumococcal and meningococcal disease and pertussis, since 2011.
- Coordinator of the Infectious Diseases Department, Paediatric Research Institute. Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona Children's Hospital, since 2006.
- European R&D Project Reviewer, Horizon 2020 Programme. European Commission, since 2014.
- Microbiology Department Coordinator for the European project "Setting up a sentinel system to assess the burden of whooping cough in EU/EEA (PERTINENT)", since January 2015.
- Over 170 international scientific publications.
- Associate lecturer at the International University of Catalonia, since 2016.
- Lecturer on the Master's degree in Microbiology. University of Barcelona - Autonomous University of Barcelona, since 2014.
- Lecturer on the BIOLAC Master's degree (Clinical Analysis Laboratory). Pompeu Fabra University, since 2014.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.