Javier Aparicio Calvo
You will find me at
English, Spanish and Catalan
In 2009, I finished my residency in Adult Neurology. In October 2010, I started working as an assistant in the Epilepsy Unit at the Hospital Clínic, Barcelona. I assessed both adult and pediatric epileptic patients, as I was working 50% of the time in the Epilepsy Unit of the SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital. My work focused particularly on the preoperative assessment of patients with focal epilepsy. Since January 2018, I have been working full-time in the Epilepsy Unit of the SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital and, since September 2018, I have been the Head of the Unit. The Epilepsy Unit currently evaluates drug-resistant epilepsies, both generalised and focal, assessing the possibility of curative surgical and palliative treatment. The diagnosis of epileptic syndromes and non-epileptic paroxysmal events is also performed.
- Specific technical training in EEG and Video-EEG, Sociedad Española de Neurología (Spanish Society of Neurology), 2014.
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Sciences Research, Universitat de Barcelona, 2010.
- Specialist in Neurology, Hospital Clínic, Barcelona, 2010.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, Universitat de Barcelona, 2004.
- Rotation in the Epilepsy Center of the Cleveland Clinic (United States). From April to May 2009.
Among the most recent publications by Javier Aparicio are the following:
- Frameless robot-assisted stereoelectroencephalography for refractory epilepsy in pediatric patients: accuracy, usefulness, and technical issues. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2018 Dec; 160(12):2489-2500.
- PISCOM: a new procedure for epilepsy combining ictal SPECT and interictal PET.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018 Dec;45(13):2358-2367.
- Retrospective study of perampanel efficacy and tolerability in myoclonic seizures. Acta Neurol Scand. 2018 Aug;138 (2):122-129.
- Outcome of treatment changes in patients with drug-resistant chronic epilepsy: A tertiary center experience. Epilepsy Res. 2017 Oct;136:97-102.
- Epilepsy surgery in drug resistant temporal lobe epilepsy associated with neuronal antibodies. Epilepsy Res. 2017 Jan;129:101-105.
- Combined 18F-FDG-PET and diffusion tensor imaging in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis. Neuroimage Clin. 2016 May 6;12:976-989.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.