Joan Prat Bartomeu
Oculoplastic Surgery. Paediatric Ophthalmology. Orbit and lachrymal ducts
You will find me at
Spanish, Catalan, English, French and Portuguese
I lead the paediatric Oculoplastic Unit. Indeed, our Department was the first in Europe to develop this sub-specialty. I also work in biotechnological innovation, developing exploratory devices. I also collaborate with two African countries, training local ophthalmologists in Paediatric Ophthalmology in Mozambique and Senegal. I am the director of a Master's degree in Paediatric Ophthalmology at the University of Barcelona, the first and only one degree course of this kind in the country. I am the president of the Spanish Eye and Orbital Plastic Surgery Society (SECPOO) and I have been Head of the Paediatric Ophthalmology Department until 2022. "I believe in disseminating the best paediatric ophthalmology practices throughout the world, and if I don't have a solution for something, I will seek it out".
- PhD in Surgery. Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2002.
- Specialty in Ophthalmology. Bellvitge University Hospital, 2002.
- Specialty in eye orbit. University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela (CHUS), 1991.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery. Autonomous University of Barcelona, 1985.
- Speciality in orbital disorders. Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, 1991.
- Protocol for treatment of congenital tear duct obstruction.
- Possibilities of levator resection in congenital ptosis.
- Changes in optical pathway diameter in NF1.
- Applications of pupillography in children.
- Contributions of video-oculography in strabismus surgery.
- Early diagnosis of schizophrenia by ocular motility digitisation.
- Treatment of Usher syndrome.
Should children wear sunglasses?
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.