Adaia Valls Ontañon
I am a maxillofacial surgeon specializing in jaw and TMJ surgery, salivary gland and pediatric maxillofacial surgery.
I graduated in medicine from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and specialized in oral and maxillofacial surgery at Vall d’Hebron Hospital, although during that period I trained further in reference centers across America, Europe, and Asia. In tandem, I graduated in dentistry from the Universitat de Barcelona to complete my education in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery. I took up a fellowship at an Operation Smile comprehensive cleft care center and obtained my certification from the European Board of Oro-Maxillo-Facial Surgery (EBOMFS) in 2016.
I believe that research is essential to the good development of care practice, for keeping up to date, and for providing a good outlet for scientific concerns, so I signed up to the Universitat de Barcelona’s master’s in clinical research design and analysis and did a PhD for which I received a summa cum laude in 2014. Since then I have engaged in multiple studies and competitive projects across Spain and Europe and published in high-impact journals. I also work as a thesis director and am on the committee of other PhDs.
I believe teaching is essential to share our learning and acquire knowledge around situations posed by students or assistants. That is why I have worked in teaching, giving classes, courses, and talks in Spain and abroad. I am currently a nationally accredited contracted lecturer/PhD holder at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya and a member of different national and international scientific societies.
- Contracted lecturer/PhD holder accredited by the ANECA accreditation agency, Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation, and Universities, practicing at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya, 2021.
- Certification from the European Board of Oro-Maxillo-Facial Surgery (EBOMFS), 2016.
- Master’s in Clinical Research Design and Analysis, Universitat de Barcelona, 2015.
- Graduate of Dentistry from the Universitat de Barcelona, 2014.
- Graduate of Medicine and Surgery from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2014.
- Fellow at an Operation Smile Comprehensive Cleft Care Center, 2013.
- Specialist in Maxillofacial Surgery from Vall d’Hebron Hospital, with certification from the European Board of Oro-Maxillo-Facial Surgery (EBOMFS), 2012.
- Graduate of Medicine and Surgery from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 2006.
- Contracted lecturer/PhD holder at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Coordinator and professor in General Medical-Surgical Pathology for the Degree in Dentistry at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Coordinator and professor in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for the Degree in Medicine at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Coordinator of the International Expert Diploma in Jaw Surgery and Surgical Dentistry.
- Coordinator of the "Hands-on Cadaver Intensive Course in Orthognatic Surgery and Ancillary Procedures".
Dr Valls’ publications are available at this link.
How to request a treatment in SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Our hospital is dedicated to comprehensive care for women, children and adolescents.