The SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital's Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) department has highly specialised professionals in the different childhood disorders affecting the ear nose and throat.
We treat around 14,000 children a year. Annually, we perform 1600 surgical interventions.
Nowadays, all types of hearing loss can be suitably treated. We have a team of professionals who are experts in the diagnosis of hearing loss (deafness) and the indication of the best treatment for each case. We have extensive experience in ear surgery and the application of cutting-edge technologies.
We also have extensive experience in the treatment of disorders related with the airway (the upper section of the respiratory tract; i.e., nose, paranasal sinuses, throat, larynx and trachea). With regard to we have the best technology available for dealing with any type of problem all obstruction, either congenital or acquired.
We are also experts in the most common illnesses that discipline, such as, earache, tonsillitis, sinusitis and sleep apnoea.
What makes us different?
- We are the hospital of references for the diagnosis and treatment of neonatal hearing loss from universal newborn hearing screenings in Catalonia (link in Spanish), as well as its follow-up, provided through the Hypoacusis Reference Unit (URH).
- We are the only centre in Catalonia in the public hospitals network to offer paediatric cochlear implants. We have a multi- and interdisciplinary implants committee that assesses candidates for treatment with cochlear implants, making sure they suit the child's present and future needs.
- We are a training hospital for newborn hearing screening for maternity teams in Catalonia.
- We are one of the national reference centres for the treatment of the infant airway and laryngotracheal reconstruction.
- Since 26 December 2008, the SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital has been a reference centre (CSUR) appointed by the Ministry of Health for reconstruction of the external ear, through our Microtia Comprehensive Functional Unit (UFIM).