- We are the largest child and youth rehabilitation department in Spain and the only one exclusive to these populations in Catalonia.
- We cover all stages of development, from birth up to 18 years of age.
- We treat more than 5,000 children per year, many of them from outside of Catalonia.
- We have more experience in neuromuscular diseases than any other centre in Spain.
- We are pioneers in the comprehensive treatment of children with brain tumours.
- Our department has a wealth of experience in child respiratory physiotherapy, and we have developed the Funny Friends computer game to make the exercises more fun.
- We treat a large number of children with rare diseases.
- We treat all diseases that cause disability, whether temporary or permanent.
We implement specialised programmes for complex diseases and have accrued recognised experience in:
- Oncological diseases. We provide immediate care from the time of diagnosis. We have founded a Neuro-oncology Rehabilitation Unit.
- Neuromuscular diseases, with interdisciplinary team procedures on the same day, to limit the number of trips that the patient must make.
- Acquired Brain Damage (ABD) due to traumatic brain injury, stroke, infection, etc. We have founded a Multidisciplinary ABD Unit.
- Cystic fibrosis, maintaining multidisciplinary collaboration with the other sections of the Cystic Fibrosis Unit.
- We are experts in treating urinary and faecal incontinence in children.
Multidisciplinarity and social support
We work in collaboration with all medical and surgical departments to plan the best treatment and its subsequent evaluation.
We offer multiple support programmes:
- "Ajuda't — Ajuda'l", to counsel parents in caring for disabled children.
- Sant Joan de Déu Sport School. Programme of physical activities and sport adapted for children with physical or mixed disabilities.
- Paediatric rehabilitation training programme for professionals who treat disabling diseases.
- Yearly respiratory physiotherapy course for physiotherapists who treat children with neurological diseases with respiratory complications.
Sports School Sant Joan de Deu (in Spanish)
Innovation and excellence
We have developed different systems, devices and designs to facilitate patient recovery. Our support systems include games, an exoskeleton for walking, robotic rehabilitation systems and using virtual reality in recovery programmes.