The SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital is a university hospital affiliated with the Universitat de Barcelona. We are a tertiary centre dedicated exclusively to maternal and child healthcare. Our Hospital can boast the highest level of specialisation and complexity and we are able to provide the ideal conditions for delivering all aspects of training related to Paediatrics and Obstetrics/Gynaecology.
Our centre is accredited for Specialised Healthcare Training (FSE) in Paediatrics and Specific Areas, Paediatric Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Microbiology and Parasitology (MIR); Clinical Biochemistry and Hospital Pharmacy (FIR); Paediatric and Obstetrics/Gynaecology Nursing (EIR).
SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital has had accreditation to teach MIR Internal Medical Residency Program, the medical residency programme for new doctors, since 1986, and since 2012, accreditation to run the Resident nurse (EIR), a residency programme for qualified nurses. Teaching at our Hospital is essentially based around the following pillars:
- Training of the resident in diagnostic and technical skills, through experience working with patients organised into a rotation programme. The supervised activity is reinforced with clinical case sessions, courses, specific workshops and theoretical methods.
- Acquisition of communication skills through specific training in doctor-patient communication and preparation of scientific publication sessions in the hospital.
- Consolidation of the ethical principles of the profession and the humanistic and scientific values that characterise our centre.
- Basic training in clinical and experimental research. We encourage our residents to attend congresses and to participate in scientific publications.
- Tutor-supported learning. Fulfilling the teaching objectives is helped by the support and monitoring provided by the tutor in the specialist area, reinforced by the head of each department with the supervision and support of the Teaching Committee.
Reasons to do your residency at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
Volume and complexity of our patients
Residents gain highly specialised training thanks to the volume and complexity of our patients.
Good working environment
We train residents to work in a multidisciplinary environment, to provide comprehensive care to the patient based on humanism and science.
Meet the SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital
The Teaching Committee is regulated by Royal Decree 127/84 and its function is to organise the resident training and supervise its practical application, while ensuring the programme objectives for the different specialist areas are met and establishing a committee for the assessment of each of the residents in training.
The SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital Teaching Committee is also responsible for continuous training sessions. The Committee is chaired by the Head of Studies and is made up of tutors and representatives of the residents in training. There is one representative from each intake of residents on the Committee.