The European Reference Networks for rare diseases (known as ERNs) are part of the European Commission’s initiative whose purpose is to put in contact professionals and researchers with a high degree of specialization in certain rare diseases, low prevalence and complex pathologies.
The objective of these "virtual networks" is to discuss the diagnosis and the best possible treatment for patients with rare diseases throughout Europe, to contribute to the study of these pathologies and to offer the highest quality of care.
The ERN accreditation requires the centers that are part of the network to serve as a point of research and knowlegde, to participate in the scientific studies, to offer treatment to the patients of all the member states and to have the suitable facilities to be able to do it. The network works to disseminate services and expertise within the European Union.
List of ERN accreditations of SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital
The professionals at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital are involved in 14 European networks for complex diseases that affect children. The following is a list of the clinical departments and units recognised as reference centres for rare diseases.
- PaedCan-ERN: Paediatric Cancer (Haemato-Oncology). Oncology and Haematology Department.
- ERN GUARD-Heart: Gateway to Uncommon and Rare Diseases of the Heart. Heart Department.
- Endo-ERN: Rare Endocrine Conditions. Endocrinology Department.
- MetabERN: Rare Hereditary Metabolic Disorders. Neurology Department.
- EURO-NMD: Rare Neuromuscular Diseases. Neurology Department.
- ERN GENTURIS: Genetic Tumour Risk Syndromes. Oncology and Haematology Department.
- ERN-RND: Rare Neurological Diseases. SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital and Hospital Clínic group. Neurology Department.
- ERN-Skin: Rare and Undiagnosed Skin Disorders. SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital and Hospital Clínic group. Dermatology Department.
- EpiCARE: Rare and Complex Epilepsies. SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital and Hospital Clínic group. Neurology Department.
- ERN BOND: Bone Disorders. Orthopedics and Traumatology Department.
- ERN EYE: Eye Diseases. Ophthalmology Department.
- ERN ITHACA: Congenital Malformations & Rare Mental Disability. Institute for Rare Childhood Disorders (IPER).
- ERNICA: Inherited & Congenital Abnormalities. Surgery Department.
- eUROGEN: Urogenital Diseases & Conditions. Urology Unit (Surgery).
How the ERN work
This video explains to patients affected by rare, low prevalence and complex diseases, what are the European Reference Networks (ERNs) and how they can support them to identify their diagnosis or treatment, in case their healthcare professional considers that support of the ERN is necessary.