We treat kidney problems and anomalies in the urinary tract in children and adolescents with minimally invasive techniques.
The Paediatric Urology Unit at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital is integrated into the Surgery Department and has over 30 years of experience in renal and urinary tract diseases. Among the fields of special interest, the department treats neurogenic bladders, epispadias/bladder exstrophies, disorders of sex development (DSD), and uses minimally invasive surgery in the treatment of obstructive uropathies and hypospadias surgery. At present, genitourinary pathology represents a third of all paediatric surgery cases.
We are pioneers in applying minimally invasive surgery in the treatment of pyeloureteral stenosis and vesicoureteral reflux in paediatric patients, in which we have extensive experience and a success rate approaching 90%. In 75% of uropathies that require surgical repair, we use minimally invasive techniques, both in newborns as well as children and adolescents.
For the treatment of bladder dysfunction, we have the Urodynamics Unit, offering highly-specialised medical and nursing staff. In addition to carrying out examinations in the presence of a child’s parents, tailored treatment is provided for every patient.
Alongside the Nephrology Department, we treat patients who suffer from chronic kidney failure, by means of a Renal Transplant wherever possible. We also conduct foetal treatment of obstructions of the lower urinary tract with the hospital’s Foetal Medicine Department.
We hold national accreditation from Reference Centres, Services and Units (CSUR) for epispadias/bladder exstrophies, making our Paediatric Urology Unit a reference centre in Spain.
Why SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital?
We are specialists in Minimally Invasive Urological Surgery.
We are specialists in Minimally Invasive Urological Surgery
- Our success rate in minimally invasive surgery in patients with congenital uropathies is higher than 90%.
- 90% of surgical patients recover their normal functioning.
- Each year we deal with over 5,600 visits in outpatient appointments and we perform over 100 urodynamics tests.
We work in coordination with specialists from various services and units of the Hospital.
Personalized and comprehensive care for patients and families
We work in coordination with specialists from various services and units of the Hospital
- We have a multidisciplinary team that offers diagnosis and the most appropriate treatment in congenital uropathies, functional urology and genital malformations.
- We work in partnership with other departments (Surgery, Anaesthesiology, Nephrology, Neonatology, Foetal Medicine and Psychology, among others).
- In addition, we have a Transitional Care Unit for adults and we carry out follow-ups with chronic patients via the Patient Portal.
- We maintain contact with primary care through the ‘Vincles amb Primària Hospital Sant Joan de Déu’ Programme for children and families.
- We are linked to Spain’s Association for the Bladder Exstrophy Community (ASEXVE).
Specialties and services
Pacientes with Hypospadia
Obstructive uropathy cases
Epispadias - Exstrophy surgeries
Disorders of sex development
Instrumental nurses in the operating room
- Julia Benito Cuesta
- Anna Carner
- Dori Andújar
Clinical research projects:
- Pharmacological treatment of neurogenic detrusor hyperactivity. A randomised study with subjects aged 6 to 17 years with symptoms of neurogenic detrusor overactivity associated with a neurological condition. Sponsored by Pfizer.
- Bulking agents for the endoscopic treatment of vesicoureteral reflux. Randomised clinical study between the use of dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer (Deflux©) and polyacrylate-polyalcohol copolymer (Vantris©) in the endoscopic treatment of primary vesicoureteral reflux grades III, IV and V in children. Fundació Sant Joan de Déu. October 2014.
Doctoral theses by team members:
- Estudio clínico randomizado entre el tratamiento endoscópico con Dx/HA y el reimplante ureteral tipo Cohen para el tratamiento del reflujo vesicoureteral tipos II, III y IV en la edad pediátrica. [Randomised clinical study between the endoscopic treatment with Dx/HA and Cohen-type ureteral reimplantation for the treatment of vesico-ureteral reflux types II, III and IV in children.] L. García-Aparicio.
- Effects of Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) on a Model of Renal Ischemia-Reperfusion in Rats. O. Martin Sole.
- Correlación entre la hemodiámica, la morfometría, la histoquímica y el estado neonatal en un modelo de hernia diafragmática congénita tratada con oclusión traqueal. [Correlation between haemodynamics, morphometrics, histochemistry and neonatal health in a model of congenital diaphragmatic hernia treated with tracheal occlusion.] J. Prat Ortells.
- Evaluación del dolor postoperatorio en Cirugía Pediátrica. [Assessment of post-operative pain in Paediatric Surgery.] S. Pérez-Bertólez.
All the members of the Paediatric Urology Unit take part in the training of Resident Medical Interns (RMI) and specific internships or “fellowships” in Urology and Surgical Techniques in Paediatric Surgery at the University of Barcelona.
The Paediatric Surgery Department is recognised as a teaching unit and, thanks to the prestige of our centre, we receive RMIs from all over Spain. Among the accreditations and activities that we participate in, the following are included:
- European accreditation in Paediatric Urology - Fellow of the European Academy of Paediatric Urology (FEAPU). This accreditation from the European Union of Medical Specialists recognises specialists who achieve research and healthcare standards that allow them to train specialists in Paediatric Urology.
- Master’s Degree in Paediatric Urology of the University of Barcelona. Since 2017 the Unit has run this face-to-face postgraduate teaching course that lasts two years, aimed at Paediatric Surgeons who want to specialise in Paediatric Urology.
- Master’s Degree in Surgical Techniques for Paediatric Surgery of the University of Barcelona. The Urology Unit team are responsible for teaching this university training.
- Course on Laparoscopic Surgery in Paediatric Urology.
- Master’s Degree in Advanced Medical Skills of the University of Barcelona. Dr García-Aparicio collaborates in the subject of Renal Transplantation.