SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital is a university hospital affiliated with the University of Barcelona. We share our knowledge and train professionals so that they can specialise in high complexity medicine. Teaching is a fundamental component of the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, which currently has national and international recognition. Being integrated in a university hospital facilitates the links between medical practice and teaching. We offer:
- Courses on respiratory problems that are organised within the European Society of Paediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care (ESPNIC). High level simulations are performed in which expert teams face highly complex critical situations.
- Specialty training in Paediatric Intensive Care. The programme lasts for two years and is accredited by the Spanish Society of Paediatric Intensive Care (SECIP). Paediatric specialists who have completed their training and have at least one year of seniority may qualify for this training. Enrolment is open.
- Postgraduate training students of the University of Barcelona's School of Medicine participate in internships in our unit: they also receive resident training in the specialty of paediatrics.
- Internal training. All personnel of the unit participate in the simulation of clinical cases that reproduce complex situations. Resident physicians are also trained in the management of common techniques and procedures.
- External training. Theoretical-practical courses organised from the PICU on invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, advanced life support to paediatric trauma, ECMO, extrarenal clearance or ultrasound in critical paediatric patients.