- In 2020, almost 500 surgeries were performed, with a low rate of reoperation and reinfection. These included 90 cases of brain tumours and 45 cases of refractory epilepsy.
- ERN (European Reference Network) European Accreditation in Neuro-oncology, Epilepsy and Craniofacial Surgery.
- Our department has been designated by the Ministry of Health as a reference service in Spain (CSUR) in the treatment of refractory epilepsy, movement disorders, neuro-oncological surgery and craniofacial surgery (in process).
Our operating rooms
- We are pioneers in minimally invasive surgery used in Neurosurgery. In the early 1990s, Dr Ferrer, former head of the Neurosurgery department at Hospital Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona, introduced the use of brain endoscopy in Spain. In 2020 we added one laser surgery system to our equipment, being pioneers in Europe in the use of this technology. As a result, our patients recover faster, postoperative procedures are much more comfortable and potential after-effects are minimised.
- We practise neuronavigation-assisted microsurgery. On an MRI of the patient in real time we can guide ourselves intraoperatively to see where we are moving.
- We have a state-of-the-art robotic platform for microsurgery (vascular surgery, oncology, etc.).
- We perform robot-assisted stereotaxic surgery (epilepsy surgery, movement disorders, etc.). This allows us to select any place in the brain to act on with minimal risk.
- For complex surgeries we have intraoperative neuromonitoring systems, controlled by an expert team in neurophysiology, which allows us to safely advance in our interventions with minimal risk of sequelae.
- Highly qualified nursing and anaesthesia teams specialised in the field of neurosurgery.
- High quality intraoperative imaging systems such as: Magnetic Resonance, Computed Tomography and Ultrasound.
All of this constitutes one of the most technological operating rooms in Europe which, together with our human team, makes us an international reference service in Paediatric Neurosurgery.
Increasingly, the world of medicine is focused on teamwork. We have been managing the different pathologies for years based on decisions taken jointly in the corresponding multidisciplinary committees or units, most of which are held weekly (neuro-oncology, craniofacial, epilepsy, vascular, etc.), thus optimising the results obtained.
Sant Joan de Déu is your hospital
We are a group of more than 600 professionals of all paediatric specialities trained at the world's best hospitals.