I have been working in newborn neurological disorders during my whole career. My research has been focused on biomarkers of brain damage, particularly in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy and congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) and recently in cerebral infarction and brain development disorders. I am a lecturer in Paediatrics at the University of Barcelona and chair of the NeNe Foundation, which aims to improve the care of newborns with neurological disorders and their families. I am the author of two Neonatal Neurology books entitled “Neurología Neonatal de un vistazo” (Neonatal Neurology at a glance) and “Evaluación neurológica del recién nacido” (Neurological evaluation of newborns). I have also developed a “dictionary” for parents of newborns. My hobbies include reading and riding my motorcycle. Currently, my greatest passion is teaching and training colleagues so that Neonatal Neurology is incorporated as an area of knowledge in all hospital units.
- Research fellow for the study of brain development through the Spanish Collaborative Study of Congenital Malformations (ECEMC). Complutense University of Madrid, from October 1990 to March 1991.
- Doctorate: “Neurological morbidity in full-term newborns with intrapartum fetal stress markers”. Apt Cum Laude by unanimous vote. Autonomous University of Madrid, April 1990.
- Research associate at “The Washington University Program in Neonatal Neurology”. Director: J.J. Volpe. Division of Pediatric Neurology. Washington University School of Medicine, from January 1988 to May 1989.
- Certificate of the Foreing Medical Graduate Examination in the Medical Sciences (FMGEM), July 1987.
- Resident of Paediatrics at La Paz Children’s Hospital in Madrid, from March 1983 to March 1987.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery. Autonomous University of Madrid, June 1980.
- Visiting professor at the University of Concepción. Chile, November 2017.
- Research associate in “The Washington University Program in Neonatal Neurology”. Director: J.J. Volpe. Division of Pediatric Neurology. Washington University School of Medicine, from January 1988 to May 1989.
- Researcher of the Maternofoetal and Neonatal Medicine Group recognised by the Catalan Government (SGR, 2014 - 2016).
- Clinical Coordinator of the Clinical Practice Guidelines on Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. Catalan Agency for Health Information, Assessment and Quality (AIAQS), 2011 - 2017.
- Researcher of the group of Paediatric Illnesses with onset at early age. Line: Pathophysiology of the neonatal brain. Study of prematurity, nutrition and metabolism, related epigenetic changes, 2009 - 2017.
- Researcher for the CIBER of Rare Diseases (CIBERER). U724 Madrid, 2008 - 2017.
- Researcher of Developmental Pathophysiology in the sub-area of Developmental Neurology, La Paz University Hospital, Madrid, 2000 - 2009.
- Trainer of obstetrical- gynaecological nursing residents (midwives). Barcelona, 2012 - present.
- Lecturer on the Master’s Degree in Paediatric Endocrinology at the University of Barcelona, 2015 - present.
- Lecturer in Paediatrics at the University of Barcelona, 2010 - present.
- Research accreditation from the Catalan University Quality Assurance Agency, 2015.
- Lecturer on the Master’s Degree in Neonatology of the Spanish Neonatology Society (SEN), 2015 - 2017.