José María Caffarena Calvar
I am currently the Head of the Heart Center and the Paediatric Heart Surgery Department at the SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital. I am a world rapresentative in Paediatric and Neonatal Heart Surgery and have performed more than 450 anatomical corrections in newborn babies, doing transpositions of great arteries, with a mortality rate under 3%. The Department I run has a survival rate of 98% in cardiac surgery patients. From 2006 to 2010, I was the Head of the Paediatric Heart Surgery Section at Hospital La Fe, in Valencia.
- PhD in Medicine, University of Valencia, 1996.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, University of Valencia, 1986.
- I have published over 50 articles in international journals in my specialty; I have participated and collaborated in more than 300 scientific meetings, and in 1998, I was appointed as a Fellow of the European Board of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons.
- I was vice-president of the Spanish Society for Paediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease from 2006 to 2010.
- Founder member of the World Society of Paediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery and active member of the European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery. I am also a member of the Spanish Cardiovascular Surgery Society and of the Spanish Society for Paediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease.