Our wide-ranging experience
- The Paediatric Ophthalmology Department at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital is one of the busiest in the country, handling on average more than 120 visits a day and approximately 4-5 surgeries a day. This huge volume of patients, as well as the complexity of many of the cases, makes us a leading centre of national and international recognition.
- We have a team of 12 ophthalmologists sub-specialising in the 8 branches of the different conditions that affect children's eyes. We also rely on a group of 6 paediatric optometrists. Because of this, our Ophthalmology Department has more accreditations than any other leading centre in Spain .
- Examining children's eyes is not always easy. As paediatric specialists, we have the experience and technology to adjust to a specific patient's characteristics.
Technology adapted for children
- At our hospital, we have added and developed state-of-the-art technology specifically adapted to children's eyes. For example, the GazeLab device allows the movement of children's eyes to be studied, to accurately digitally record diseases affecting the eye's biomechanics, such as strabismus .
- In certain circumstances, we are able to activate an express rapid-diagnostic protocol (a few days) in which each of our sub-specialists, by using the appropriate technologies, study all parts of the eye in order to reach a diagnostic consensus.
The SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital's Ophthalmology Department
In the SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital's Ophthalmology Department we diagnose and treat children with vision problems, whatever the complexity.