One in every ten fetuses will have at least one problem in its mother's womb. Most of these problems are mild, but unfortunately some are serious and may compromise the fetus's survival or quality of life when it is born.
Weeks in the life of a fetus equate with years for a child or decades for an adult. Therefore, by seeking solutions to problems that occur during the fetal stage of life, we open a window of opportunity that is unique in terms of early diagnosis and intervention.
The benefit of prenatal diagnosis in detecting fetal problems, however serious, is undeniable. Appropriately managing each case in accordance with the latest knowledge significantly improves outcomes in a wide range of mild and serious fetal diseases.
Moreover, the prenatal diagnosis techniques applied in some prenatal procedures may save the fetus's life or significantly improve its future quality of life.
Non-invasive PD. Genetic abnormalities in maternal blood
Non-invasive test of fetal lung maturity
Fetal magnetic resonance imaging
High-resolution fetal ultrasound
Fetal medicine and surgery
BCNatal is among the largest fetal medicine and surgery centres in the world. We are highly specialised in endoscopic fetal surgery and our surgeons are the most experienced in the world, with more than 1,600 operations to date. We treat more than 200 cases each year.
We offer highly specialised examinations and procedures in fetal medicine and surgery intended to treat different diseases.
Twins: twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome
Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
Fetoscopic tracheal occlusion
Congenital heart disease
Fetal anaemia and thrombocytopenia
Fetal lower urinary tract obstruction
Some of our achievements
- We were the first in the world to develop the fetal surgery technique with which we treat tracheal occlusion due to a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004. J Deprest, Y Gratacós, K Nicolaides). We are members of the pioneering FETO team (Leuven/Barcelona/London), with more than 200 cases treated.
- We are creators of a unique and pioneering technique of intrauterine unblocking of the fetus's respiratory tract due to a congenital cause or a tumour. We performed the first operation in the world (2011) (Fetal Diagn Ther 2012, Y Gratacós et al.).
- We have treated spina bifida with open fetal surgery.
- We are pioneers in Spain in the application of intrapartum fetal surgery to manage large fetal tumours.
- We apply intrauterine ablation of large tumours by laser or radiofrequency.
- We perform fetal valvuloplasty in serious fetal heart valve stenosis (the first case in Catalonia and the second case in Spain).
SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital is your hospital
We care for your baby's health from before its birth. We are a leading centre in fetal medicine and surgery.