One of the formalities that can be taken care of at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital during the admission if the family so wishes is to register the birth of the baby in the Civil Register. Since October 2015, it has been possible to register births electronically at the health centres where children are born. The Women’s Health area team will inform you about how to apply for registration (it is not instant) and enter the information in the Ministry of Justice’s website. The baby is registered after it is born
What you need to know about registering your baby at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital
The Hospital management can only notify the birth of a child in the first 72 hours after the baby is born and provide the information to guarantee correct identification of the newborn and relationship with the mother. Birth is the first event in the newborn’s life that has to be registered in the Civil Register by law. The procedure provides a record of the date, time and place of birth of the baby, as well as its gender and the names of the parents. You can find all the information related to this certificate on the Ministry of Justice website .
IMPORTANT: if both parents are registered in the same town, you can ask to register the baby there. To do that, both parents will need to take their Spanish ID card (DNI) or foreign resident ID card (NIE).
- The baby will be registered by default in the Esplugues de Llobregat Civil Registry Office if you do not state any other town on the form provided by the person in charge of processing the registration.
- IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to register the birth in the requested town if the documentation provided is a passport (it is a requirement of the computer system), as the local council registry office only recognises DNIs or NIEs as documentation associated with the address.
- It’s a good idea to ask the ward clerical staff for an appointment (preferably in the morning), as they work with an appointment schedule for registrations.
Conditions and documents for registering the birth
- It has to be done within 72 hours of the birth. Past that time it is not possible to register the birth at the hospital.
- The baby must have been born in SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital.
- The parents must be over eighteen.
- In the case of a child of a married couple:
- One of the parents must have Spanish nationality.
- If both parents are foreigners, they must both have the same nationality.
- If the baby’s parents are not married:
- The identity of both parents is established if the declarants are single and both sign the application.
- The identity of the mother is established if only the mother is signing the application.
- If the baby is born to a single mother.
- If the baby is born to two legally married women.
- At SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital. You need to ask the ward clerical staff for an appointment in the morning, as they work with an appointment schedule for registrations.
- The registration process is done in themother’s room in our centre’s maternity admissions area.
- Both parents must be present to fill out the paperwork.
- The process lasts about 45 minutes.
- When your son or daughter is born, contact the member of staff at the main desk on the ward where the mother is admitted in the morning .
- If your baby is admitted to the Neonatal Unit, we can still register the birth from the Hospital. In fact, it is usually a good idea to do so, so that one of the parents can take care of the preliminary formalities outside the hospital while the mother looks after the newborn and recovers from the birth.
- The medical birth certificate that the Hospital will give you once the baby is born.
- The DNI, NIE or passport of both parents (originals) and of the applicant if they are not one of the parents.
- The DNI or NIE of both parents is essential if registering the birth in a town other than Esplugues de Llobregat.
- The family book or marriage certificate if the parents are married. If the parents were married abroad, the marriage certificate needs to be properly translated before the process can be carried out.
On the acknowledgement of receipt that the notification has been made, there is a secure verification code at the foot of the page for the General Directorate for Registry Offices and Notaries, with the address of a website where you can check the authenticity of the document.
- Any case that does not meet the necessary conditions referred to above.
- If the mother is separated, divorced or in the process of becoming so.
- Presumption of paternity: refers to babies in a marriage in the phase of breaking up in which the paternity of the baby is not clear.
- In the case of incapacity, absence or death of one of the parents.
In all these situations the registration must be made in person at the Civil Registry Office.
The Civil Registry Office receives the application and, once they have done the formal registration, sends out a certified copy of the Birth Certificate by post or by email. Once you have received this certificate, the family book will be automatically updated.