In the SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital's Women's Health area, wich is part of the BCNatal consortium, our team of highly specialised professionals offer care in obstetrics and gynaecology.
In Obstetrics, we have a specialised unit for low-risk pregnancy, run by our midwives, with the aim of offering care close to the patient, and a high-risk pregnancy unit, in which we work with a high level of sub-specialisation, depending on the risks in each case. We have a team who are global leaders in the fetal medicine.
In Gynaecology, we have specialised units in uterine pathology, benign mammary pathology, pelvic floor, endometriosis, oncology and endocrine-reproduction.
What makes us different?
Our cumulative experience
- SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital is the hospital that attends the most births in Catalonia, with around 3,000 births per year (an average of 8 births per day). In our 40 years of experience, we have attended more than 110,000 births.
- Of them, 65 % are high-risk births.
- We are the first hospital in Spain to achieve the birth of baby to a mother without ovaries.
The environment: birth at a paediatric hospital
- Our birth model focuses on the woman and her family: harmonising and tailoring care and spaces to meet individual needs.
- We offer good coordination with other hospital teams involved in the process when the health of the baby and/or the mother requires it.
- We ensure continuity in personalised care for the mother and the newborn after the birth.
High level of specialisation: leaders in fetal and neonatal medicine
- We have latest-generation equipment to make diagnoses and determine the treatments that our patients require.
- We accredit highly specialised fetal medicine and surgery, as a leader in Spain and internationally. We have an experienced fetal medicine team, headed by Dr Eduard Gratacós, with a high level of specialisation in fetal medicine, which ensures complete and safe care for both the fetus and the mother. We receive more than 3,000 cases per year and carry out more than 12,000 highly complex ultrasound scans. At present, with more than 1,600 fetal operations performed, we are one of the most experienced centres in the world.
- In addition, we have one of the most extensive and productive fetal medicine research groups in the world, with more than 15 years of experience.
- We ensure excellence in newborn monitoring. In any problem in a newborn, our objective is also to prevent potential sequelae. We are experts in hypothermia, early stimulation and other methods that promote the development of newborn babies.
Modern facilities for personalised care
- Of our hospitalisation rooms, 98% are individual. They have a sofa bed for a companion and an adapted bathroom.
- We have modern and welcoming rooms for dilatation and birth, with no need to change rooms. They are all equipped with telemetry, which promotes mobility. Accessory materials such as balls, mirrors, music and showers can also be used.
- The baby is with the mother at all times, and we promote mother/baby contact, including skin-to-skin or kangaroo care, immediately after the birth.
- Hospitalisation 60 beds — 98% of the rooms are individual, distributed over 3 floors, with distinctions made between high risk, low risk and gynaecological disease. Rooms adapted for performing all examinations of the baby in the room itself. Rooms designed to accommodate a companion.
- Outpatient consulting rooms: 7 outpatient consulting rooms.
- 3 rooms for ultrasound; 2 rooms for recording.
- 6 rooms for dilatation and birth.
- 2 operating theatres.
- Emergency Department where we provide 24-hour care.
- Semi-ICU (Intensive Care Unit).
- Natural-birth bathtub.