Jump to navigation
Back to top
Our experience and efficacy
- We treat more than 8,000 children with heart disorders every year (i.e. an average of 32 patients per day).
- The Heart Unit of SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital is one of the units with the lowest surgical mortality in Europe and a low incidence of repeat interventions. Every year, we successfully perform 600 surgical interventions. The survival rate for our cardiac surgery patients is 98.8%. Less than 1% need to undergo further surgery in the immediate postoperative period due to complications.
- We have the best experts in fetal and neonatal surgery. The heart, arteries and blood vessels of newborns are extremely fragile. Our surgical experts have successfully operated on the smallest cardiopathy patient in Spain, a baby girl weighing 1600 milligrams.
Our personalised, patient-centred multidisciplinary care
- Our multidisciplinary team includes cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, anaesthesiologists, paediatric and neonatal intensive care specialists, perfusionists, nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists and nutritionists.
- Our surgeons use the most appropriate technique for each case, always making sure it is the least invasive to ensure a better postoperative recovery.
- We work hard to provide the best hospital stay when a congenital heart disease requires surgery. Following their operation, our inpatients spend 7-8 days recovering, half the time of other Spanish paediatric hospitals.
Recognition of our excellence
- We are a national reference centre (CSUR), recognised by the Spanish Ministry of Health, in Paediatric Arrhythmology and Electrophysiology, Infant Cardiac Surgery and treatment of congenital heart disease in children and neonates.
- We are the only paediatric reference centre in Spain where certain cardiac surgery interventions are practised, including the Nikaidoh or Rastelli techniques to treat transposition of the great arteries, or the double-switch procedure.