We care for the mental health of children and adolescents by seamlessly integrating a human touch with the latest scientific advances.
The Mental Health Area at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital offers comprehensive, multidisciplinary, innovative, specialised and leading care in mental health to patients under the age of 18 and their families. This is provided in a committed, respectful and efficient manner by integrating all levels of care.
We have more than 40 years of experience and our professionals are highly trained and capable of meeting the needs of children and adolescents.
Our clinical specialisation units in mental health care for complex disorders and emerging problems that require specialised knowledge. Our Clinical Specialisation Units (CSUs) are as follows:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders Unit.
- Autism spectrum and social communication disorders.
- Serious attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), secondary ADHD and ADHD with comorbidity.
- Psychopathology in children 0-5 years of age.
- Toxic addictive behaviour and behavioural disorder unit.
- Eating disorders and related diseases.
- Psychotic and serious affective disorder unit.
Why SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital?
Our acquired experience and social commitment help us to innovate and spread our specialist knowledge.
We work in conjunction with all Mental Health network resources and Hospital paediatric departments to create links with patients and their families, and to achieve the required healthcare coherence and continuity.
The activities at SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital complete the care offered by all resources from the Catalonia community mental health network and from the different in-hospital paediatric departments, as well as offering support to professionals.
We have a paediatric diseases Mental Health Unit, which takes care for children and adolescents who suffer from other disorders and also require psychiatric and psychological care.
Our collaboration with other departments
We have a paediatric diseases Mental Health Unit, which takes care for children and adolescents who suffer from other disorders and also require psychiatric and psychological care
We participate in the following hospital programmes:
- Functional care unit for sexually abused minors.
- Haematology/Oncology, TBI and Nephrology.
- PKU, cochlear implant and microtia.
- Psychological and psychiatric maternity support (women's care).
- Chronic care.
Specialities and services
We work in coordination with the school so that children with learning difficulties can develop their full potential.
The Child Abuse Functional Unit (ESTIM) offers a multidisciplinary response to all cases of suspected possible sexual abuse of children.
Pathologies we treat
Treatments we offer
Our children have a unique way of being in the world, and we help them to fit in.
- Jordi Juanico Sabaté, social educator.
- Bárbara Corbella Santoma
- Neus Elias Carbonell
- Mireia González Rodríguez
- Maria Elias Abadías
Psychiatric hospitalisation unit
This unit, created more than 15 years ago, has been increasing its capacity as demand for admission has been increasing. Since late 2009, it has occupied a hospital annex called ITAKA, which has four floors each covering nearly 500 m2. Its facilities were designed according to a care model that seeks to become a leader in the field of child mental health and minimise the impact of hospitalisation on children.
Outpatient services - Clinical specialisation units
The outpatient services of the Psychiatry and Psychology Department are organised as specific programmes implemented within the department or in collaboration with other hospital departments. They constitute what are called clinical specialisation units (CSUs).
These units, which belong to the Mental Health and Addictions Network, offer a portfolio of services complementary to community care resources and provide support in complex diseases and emerging problems.
Outpatient services are located on the ground floor of the ITAKA building. They consist of 12 consulting rooms, a secretary's office, a multi-purpose room and a classroom.
Psychiatric emergencies are treated in the general hospital emergency department. It has a consulting room adapted for psychiatric patients. Since 1999, SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital has been the leading centre in Catalonia for psychiatric emergencies in children and adolescents (0-18 years of age). A child psychiatrist is available 24 hours a day.
We treat patients who have arrived via the Emergency Department and need quick monitoring of diagnostic matters, therapeutic regimens and changes in risk factors or protection. Patients without a therapeutic link to the healthcare network are treated and this link is developed. After 1-3 visits, the patient is referred to the appropriate healthcare resources depending on the situation.
Outpatient services - Clinical specialisation units team
Emotional health and behavior: the impact of the pandemic on children
SJD Barcelona Children's Hospital is a university hospital affiliated with the University of Barcelona. We share our knowledge and train professionals so that they may specialise in high-complexity medicine.
The Mental Health Area is a leader in training professionals specialising in these fields.
- Specialised training of resident physicians (MIR) in Psychiatry.
- Specialised training of resident clinical psychologists (PIR).
- We give university training: Four of our professionals are associate lecturers at the University of Barcelona: two lecturers in undergraduate programmes and two lecturers in the Master's Degree in General Health Psychology. We help to provide training for the Master's Degree in General Health Psychology at Blanquerna University and the Master's Degree for specialisation in the fields of Psychiatry and Child and Youth Psychology at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Collaboration with the Borja Institute of Bioethics.
- Collaboration with the Sant Joan de Déu Barcelona University School of Nursing.
Exceptional security measures due to COVID-19