We use innovative therapies
We work on the development of new therapies and treatments that are more effective and less aggressive, so that young cancer patients can benefit from the most advanced treatments.
- We were European pioneers in the use of intra-arterial chemotherapy in patients with retinoblastoma to avoid loss of the eye.
- We were the first centre in Europe to use anti-GD2 immunotherapy for the treatment of high risk neuroblastoma, which increases survival by around 20%.
- We have launched an international clinical trial for patients with diffuse brainstem glioma, a cancer that is currently incurable.
At the vanguard of knowledge
We undertake research to improve the diagnosis and treatment of our patients. We have 8 lines of research and are participating in a large number of clinical trials with the aim of finding a treatment for incurable tumours.
- We are one of the few centres in Europe with an exclusive paediatric tumour bank, which has great research potential.
- We are the first European centre to have developed an animal model of diffuse brainstem glioma.
- We systemically genetically sequence tumours in relapse.
- Our investigators have developed a nanofiber fabric for local treatment of cancer.
- We have 5 of our own approved clinical trials.
- We are studying genetic diversity in developmental tumours through the sequencing of individual cells of certain types of tumours. This is a fundamental step to study the evolution of different tumour cells and improve knowledge of the complexity of these diseases.
- In 2015 we started a personalised medicine programme based on massive DNA sequencing carried out by the Centre Nacional d’Anàlisi Genòmica (CNAG - National Centre for Genomic Analysis).
- We have accreditation from the Innovative Therapies for Children with Cancer (ITCC) group, which allows us to access the most innovative treatments and to include our patients in pioneering clinical trials.
- Our research laboratory is fully integrated with the care team.
We give special attention to families and to the overall well-being of the patient
We offer comprehensive interdisciplinary care to children and young people with cancer, focussing always on preserving the patient's quality of life.
- We have a team of psychologists and psycho-oncologists who help the patient and their family through various programmes.
- All painful treatment, such as bone marrow aspirations or lumbar punctures are performed under deep sedation in the outpatient surgery unit (UCA) to avoid causing the patient unnecessary pain and anxiety.
- Wherever possible, we use outpatient treatment in our day hospital, so that the patient can return home each day. On some occasions, a home care team treats the patient at home.
We offer personalised medicine
- We understand that every patient is different because every tumour is different. For this reason, we carry out studies and molecular diagnosis on every tumour we treat to determine the tumour's characteristics. In this way, we can predict the prognosis of the disease and the best approach for each patient.
- Our laboratory offers all techniques for molecular diagnosis and the prognosis of the disease in order to create a personalised treatment plan.
- Our mission is to cure our patients' cancers, but also to ensure that they develop as expected and reach adult age without sequelae. Among other lines of work, we use cryopreservation of oocytes (eggs) and sperm in children who undergo cancer treatment that might compromise their fertility, so that one day they can become parents.
We have access to all medical techniques to diagnose and treat our patients. This includes:
- Radiodiagnostics equipment for next generation imaging, molecular genetics laboratory.
- 25 bed inpatient ward for admissions.
- A day hospital for outpatient treatment with a total of 25 bays.
- Four individual rooms with HEPA filters and positive pressure for patients receiving bone marrow transplants.
A pleasant environment suited to the patient's age and needs can help to reduce anxiety in children who need to receive treatment. For this reason, we place great importance on the design of our facilities.